London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
10 messages
31/03/2014 at 16:46

I have a small bird house on my shed above the door which a very large bee has made home. I don't want to kill it as I read bees are getting rarer but I don't have anywhere in my garden I could put the nest.

Is there anywhere I could maybe get to collect or not kill it?

31/03/2014 at 17:28

could you call it a bee house instead of a bird house. It's all supporting the garden wildlife

31/03/2014 at 17:40

We had tree bees in two of the bird nesting boxes last year. If you ignore them they will depart at the end of the season.

31/03/2014 at 17:52

You might as well leaves the bees to enjoy the box.  I doubt if birds would use it anyway if you use the shed much, as I think the constant toing and froing would probably be to disturbing for them.  Then move the box to somewhere more peaceful when the bees have departed.    I could be wrong about the birds, of course!  Mags

02/04/2014 at 17:35

Thanks, I might put them in a corner and hope they do get to big of a nest! 

02/04/2014 at 17:40

I'd leave them where they are - they chose the site as it suits their needs.  Tree bees are very gentle creatures - our neighbours had two nests in their roof last summer, right over windows that were frequently open - they were no bother at all and pollinated all my plants wonderfully 

02/04/2014 at 19:32

Are you sure it is a bee?  It may be a queen wasp as that is the sort of place they like to have a nest.  I had wasps in one of my swift boxes one year and in a bird box another year.

02/04/2014 at 19:40

You'll see from this link that Tree Bees frequently choose bird boxes for their nests http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news/tree-bee.html#cr 

02/04/2014 at 19:49
Had bees twice in the roof, next to windows. Within weeks of coming out of the nests they were gone. We did nothing and they didn't bother us. A bit scary but they will go. Just enjoy them.
02/04/2014 at 23:01

I think it is a Bee as it was very fat all over and I would say a wasp is longer and thinner. The problem with where they are at the moment is the box is 2 inches from my head when I walk in the shed. The reason I knew it was there was because I could hear this strange hissing noise when I was opening and shutting the door, after two days it was freaking me out a little so I narrowed it to the bird box and decided to look in the hole. To say the least having a very large Bee vibrating it's wings right in my face made me jump haha.

email image
10 messages