Start a new thread

1 to 17 of 17 replies

artjak

Something has been eating my beetroot, nibbling away at them, any suggestions as to what it could be?

artjak

Many thanks for that; I'm so relieved it isn't something weird.

figrat

Might be one of these though...

Advertisement

artjak

Dear Figrat, Would this terrifying creature eat the beetroots under the ground?

artjak

A neighbour suggested rats under the veg bed; any ideas for dealing with them?

figrat
Have you seen any evidence of rats?
artjak

The neighbour said they saw holes in that part of veg bed when they were watering it for me summer 2011, so I dug it over before planting this year.

This year my beetroot crop was a wash out. Most of the beets were nibbled away from the top of the root downwards, so that only around a third of the beetroot remained in those beets lucky enough to grow much at all.  People have suggested mice but it does not look like that to me.  From what I have read, it could be cutworm, which are large(3 to 5 cm) larvae of certain moths that live underground and come to eat at the surface of the ground at night.  They are voracious beasts and particularly like red beetroots.  They do best in weedy ground, which I confess describes my vegetable beds very well.  Cultivation and weeding plus regular watering is supposed to help.  Anyone had a similar problem?

artjak

The symptoms on my beetroot were the same as yours Chris, but the bed was not weedy. Have now dug over that bed thoroughly and will do so again before planting next spring.

I have the same problem, too.  I do have squirrels in the garden and also the cat brought in a couple of baby rabbits.  They do look gnawed and there is no evidence of slime trails. The beet were great and I wanted them for  lunch so I had  to go an buy some!  I was SO disappointed.

Dovefromabove

If there are rabbits around, it'll be them

Field voles? AKA short tail vole.

Advertisement

I realise these posts about beetroot pests are from awhile ago! Many of my beetroot have holes in them. I was blaming slugs - however just now on pulling some beetroot, scurrying out of the holes were armies of little wood lice like creatures! Has anyone else come across these!

We went to lift our beetroot today and it has all been chewed round the tops. Definitely chewed -  not slugs. Dear only knows what has done this but the whole two rows are unusable. What a bitter disappointment!! Anyone any idea what caused it?