Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Begonia problem

Hi 

my basket begonias have suddenly collapsed and look like they are dying, very limp, and covered in grey powdery mould, it has spread from basket to basket, does anyone know what this is, and how do I treat it,I would like to save the plants for next years baskets.

thank you 

jazzy

• Could it be powdery mildew?

• Hi Jess

thanks for your reply, if it is powdery mildew would you know how I would treat it, ( if of course it is treatable.

thank you

jazz

• Try searching for an Eco spray that you can buy ready made up, or make up and dilute yourself, called SB Invigorator Spray (I buy mine in amazon) - it's based on plant oils, non toxic to everything and leaves, fruit etc can be harvested straightaway.

I've been using it in my  garden to control aphids, spider mites and the like, with amazing results. Because it helps the plants by giving it super healthy, invigorated leaves, it also helps to control mildew In my clematis.

i also use it a couple of times a year in my indoor plants and it rejuvenated them very well.

if this doesn't work or your mildew is too advanced, pick off as many affected leaves as you can, spray with SB, leave a week, and if no improvement use a systemic fungicide. That'll definitely control it.

But a healthy plant with healthy leaves, that isn't overcrowded and has good ventilation is also the key to reducing mildew attacks.

Good luck!