London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
1 to 20 of 25 messages
20/02/2013 at 10:13

I saved some begonia tubers from last year and have set them off in a heated propagator and have discovered some little seeds sprouting from the tubers. The begonias were originally planted in a hanging basket along with some other basket plants but I can't remember what.

Not sure what to do now. Should I leave these seeds to grow and see what transpires or could I be cultivating weeds ?

Any thoughts please ?

Thanks.

Jean.

20/02/2013 at 10:17

II think Jean you are cultivating weeds or flower seeds from what was in the basket-so it may or may not be a fresh begonia

20/02/2013 at 10:18

Just started my tubers off as well. I think if I were you I would carefully remove all the stray (weed type) growth and just leave the tubers. especially as you don't kow what it is 

Bjay

20/02/2013 at 10:22

Think I will pick them off . The tubers seem ok though - they didn't show any signs of disease or rot. I'll keep a check on them.

Thanks folks.

Lyn
20/02/2013 at 10:43

I dont think they need to go into a propagator, they may get to damp and start to rot.I have just set 50 from previous years just in seed trays in dampish peaty compost. If you knew what you had in the baskets last year, why not pot them up, they may be lobelia or something nice that you can use again instead of planting seeds.

20/02/2013 at 10:57

Hi Lyn, The reason I put them in the propagator was because I started them early and it still seemed to be a bit chilly. I don't have a grrenhouse so they are in the conservatory which is mostly unheated. If we are due a frost I have the heating on low. So should I put them on the windowledge ?

The seeds I've just picked off as I'm concerned they may be weeds.

20/02/2013 at 11:05

Mine are on a window ledge in the spare room with heating on low. Today I noticed some little pink buds on a couple 

20/02/2013 at 11:09

Bjay I've got some buds on mine as well  Think I'll take them out and put them on the windowledge. Never saved tubers before -  first attempt.

20/02/2013 at 11:16

I hope you mean you will leave them in your shallow compost

Saves money and the bigger the tubers the bigger theplant and more flowers. I save them most years Last year I had that offer from GW for some trailing ones. They came as plugs and no tubers. By the end of the summer there were small tubers so fingers crossed they will grow on as well. 

20/02/2013 at 11:19

Yes !  Hope they do ok. Sorry to say I just used to bin them when the baskets were finished. What a waste. I've learned loads on this forum.

Good luck with yours.

Lyn
20/02/2013 at 13:06

Mine are also budding, in the unheated conservatory.

20/02/2013 at 13:28

Thanks for the advice , Lyn - I've taken them out of the propagator now.

Lyn
20/02/2013 at 22:07
I think that would be best Jean, water may drip from the lid and you need to keep the inside of the corm dry, only water the soil around the edge., lightly, just damp. We have had our corms for at least 10 years.
22/02/2013 at 01:21
I've had great results with my begonia tubers for the last two years. They were in pots and come the first frosts I lifted them, dusted them off and wrapped them well in newspaper. I just put them back in their pots under a little compost out in their growing position once frosts gone and they've done beautifully. Even last year with all that rain. So I'm going to leave my tubers sleeping for a bit longer.
25/02/2013 at 13:28

Just went to get peat compost (which of course is no longer available) to lay my begonia tubers in.  Lady in garden centre recommended multi purpose and said not to bother with bringing them on in trays.  Providing I had sheltered spot (underneath a leanto canopy?) to plant them directly into their baskets!

I haven't checked on them since before Christmas and assuming they are okay I'm soooo tempted rather than plants on every spare bit of space in every room.  What do my mentors think?

25/02/2013 at 13:42

I think it it is too cold outside yet-they are just sitting there in cold damp compost-not happy

25/02/2013 at 13:56

I think you could well not get anything except rot  They really do need a touch of warmth

25/02/2013 at 14:38

They are still wrapped up in newspaper in the utility room at present.  It's cold enough in there never mind outside!  Think I'll be guided by you guys and leave them be until I see shoots then start to bring them on, before putting them outside. 

Thanks once again for your advice.

25/02/2013 at 14:46

Unwrap them, squeeze them, and lay them on shallow compost in the near future.

Sounds like the opening of a 1960's song

25/02/2013 at 16:57

Must have danced around my handbag to that!!

I've just checked some of them.  They look perfectly healthy but are still totally dormant so I've taken them into one of the spare bedrooms to warm up a bit.

I may regret asking this but why do you squeeze them?

1 to 20 of 25 messages