Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Berberis Superba and Golden Rocket - Stripped Bare.

Hello, wonder if anyone can advise? I have a hedge of the Golden Rocket and a large Superba both at the front of my garden, both in for a number of years and doing very well. I went on holiday last August leaving a reliable neighbour to water them and other stuff, when I came back they were clearly in decline and eventually lost all leaves- they were the only plants affected.

I went to a local garden centre and was advised to put bone/blood feed on base of plants and dig in, plus some other booster food and water regularly. Did this and plant has showed a small amount of regrowth but not much. 

As things stand now the hedge is showing some signs of growth, the Superba virtually none.  Could it be Sawfly? If so will the plants come back?  I did wonder if another neighbour had put something on them as it happened so suddenly ( doubt it though). 

Any advise very gratefully accepted, thank you ????

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I'd scratch off some bark and look for green underneath first Ella. If theyre alive there's hope, if not we'll that's your cue to replace them.

• Thanks Dave, just done a few branches on the Superba and all green underneath, and actually there is signs of growth on it - albeit very minor. The Golden Rocket hedge is showing a fair smattering of initial growth so hope that is on its way back - just shocked as it has never happened before.. Any tips from anyone to prevent it happening again,also what will be a good product to put on them to give them a boost. 

Thank you

• autumngloryautumnglory Posts: 255

I have a few berberis and the yellow varieties have a lot more growth on them than the red varieties at the moment. The red ones have barely started to regrow so I'd give it a couple more weeks if they're green under the bark.

I think last year was a bad year for sawfly, I've sprayed mine this year to try to stop them before they start.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

If you think it was sawfly I'd clear any dead leaves etc from the ground underneath and mulch well.  image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.