London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
10 messages
25/04/2013 at 12:22

As usual left to muggins here to sort out yet another blown down fence in the garden. This time however it is actually my side - so no choice. Now, i was tempted to put up a fence...but the thought ( and major expense ) of digging in tarmac/concrete/pulling up existing loose posts etc...

..so..decided to plant a hedge..be done with it...my question is..

I have tarmac, scratch the surface and there is..clay...Now...can I simply..dig a hole ( nothing too special/big )..throw in rotted manure perhaps..bonemeal..the usual...compost..and bang in a hedge..a foot/half each time?

Or..a better way of doing this..well..when i say better..i think thats the easist way..just asking..will a hedge take..in clay..I mean..should I perhaps link the holes I dig ( about 15 of them up side of house )...any need to do..a trench..or will a single hole for a plant do the job?

Thoughts welcome. Thinking of the common..large leaf light green type...very common..but cheap n cheerful. Again, thoughts / ideas to tart it up MORE THAN WELCOME.

..and if the neighbour dont like it..let them pay for a fence!!

25/04/2013 at 12:47

If you want a hedge, or any plant, to grow well you have to give it good soil.  Digging isolated holes in tarmac and planting into compacted clay is unlikely to work as the roots will find it hard to penetrate and grow and then they'll find it short on air, nutrients and water.

You could dig the same holes and plant fence posts in concrete or you could clear a trench the length of the boundary at least 2' wide and then dig over the soil to a depthe of about a foot and work in plenty of well rotted manure and/or garden or bought in compost.  If the clay is very solid, you'll have to dig deeper to loosen it up and add some fine pea grit so the roots don't end up sitting in a sump and drowning

The best time to plant a hedge is autumn when you can plant cheap, bare root whips.    They'll grow roots over the winter and will then need little maintenance apart form an anuual top dressing and a regular trim when they get big enough.    Hornbeam does well in heavy soils.   

25/04/2013 at 13:45
Whatever you do will involve some hard graft
Is'it,possible to talk to your neighbour? Say you are considering planting a hedge or replacing the fence and would he share the cost?
If you don't ask you won't know...it's worth that discussion. I did just that few years back when replacing a low fence with a wall. It suited us both to build a wall.
I think obelixx has it covered about the logistics of planting a hedge.....a trench not individual holes....or digging holes for new fence.
25/04/2013 at 14:21

I have to agree with both comments here but I know how difficult it can be with neighbours as not all of them are easy to deal with.

As obelixx says- hornbeam makes a very nice hedge and I'm considering it again for this new garden I'm in.

25/04/2013 at 17:45

Thanks for the feedback, re air in soil and Hornbeam. Hadnt considered that. You really think thats a good all-year round hedge? Not one of those that turn brown leaves in winter..which ive seen a lot of recently.

No - to hell with it ( believe I have stuck fences up and paid the cost all sides and back ) ..I will however dig more of a trench and get stuck in..i dont mind a little hard labour..their is concrete at various points owning to past posts...so..a trench inbetween these..and with a little luck...

Thanks again. Any more advice re a nice hedge please share. Again, the one I was tempted by..due to cost..is the very common, large light green leaf one..you see it everywhere..seems hardy, fast growing..perhaps..i could stick inbetween Hornbeam? Thoughts?  Or maybe that yellow type with green edges...one of them in between every other hedge.

25/04/2013 at 17:49

Hawthorn grows anywhere and makes a good hedge

25/04/2013 at 18:25

Do you mean laurel garjobo?

I think it depends how quickly you want a barrier there, what space you have and also what level of maintenance you can manage. Hornbeam is deciduous but retains its leaves -like beech- as long as it's not too high and it does make a good dense hedge. 

25/04/2013 at 18:29

Lonicera Baggesons gold is a lovely plant and makes good hedge.  Colour ranges from olive in winter to bright yellow In summer. I have it as a couple of topiary specimens....withstands clipping with no apparent vices

25/04/2013 at 19:16

Good shout Verd. It's very versatile. 

25/04/2013 at 19:50

As long as he doesn't get a very cold winter.  Lost all my lonicera balls in just a minus _15C but with no snow to make a blanket.

Laurel has large leaves that look dreadful when trimmed witha machine as their edges go brown.  It can also get badly frosted and take ages to recover.

Privet is good and comes in gold and green forms.  Yew is great as long as there are no grazing animals nearby.   Trimmed foliage must be carefully swept up though. 

Escallonia is evergreen in mild winters and also has blossom in spring.   Pyracantha can be grown as a hedge plant and also has spring blossom and autumn berries but it does have thorns.

email image
10 messages