London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
21 to 28 of 28 messages
02/05/2013 at 09:38

Oh my goodness, do you really think taking a mouse 200 feet away will get rid of a mouse.  It will be back in the time it takes to run home.  

Please don't complain of vermin unless you are asking about a humane way to kill it.  Otherwise it's pointless!

02/05/2013 at 11:09

I don't think they do rat-sized ones, but I have a couple of electric mouse traps, the mouse goes inside (it can't get back out as it has baffles in there), as soon as it steps on the metal bit to get the bait, pfzzzzz, mouse is dead, and triggers a red flashing light to let you know the deed has been done.  Pick up with a carrier bag, invert trap and flip the  lid open, the corpse will drop into the bag.  knot the bag, put it in another bag, and it can go into household waste.

I have to do this, my husband is too big a wuss to do it.  I don't like the ordinary spring traps, if they don't snap over the mouse's head, they can get a leg and then it's a slow death - unless you draw the short straw and use a housebrick to put it out of it's misery (speaking from horrible experience there).  Yes, they are pricey, but well worth it as they're humane, clean and can be used with dogs and kids (I have both, and from time to time a mouse problem as I live in a house that's near a farm, the farmer is none to fastidious in his habits (that's a long story that involves environmental health, a pig ban and a chap that lives in the village that does aerial photography for a living!!)

I suppose you can always google electric rat traps to see if they exist, otherwise I'd use the specially designed pre-baited rat boxes, they're sealed so dogs and kids can't get at them.  Was told by the Rentokil man that mice and rats won't share a house, so I suppose I get the lesser of two evils.  I'm sure the farmer at the back has rats and worse.

14/01/2014 at 11:41

i have rats visting one bin at the moment . and they make a great job of turning the  compost for me . time for them to move on now .  i take out the carpet and plastic sack . which they like to sit on . and leave the lid off and make sure no fruit goes goes in the bin  for a while 

14/01/2014 at 16:32

Get a cat?

15/01/2014 at 01:39

Archipem, you seem very relaxed about your rats.  They all carry leptospirosis aka Weils Disease, so do take care when handling your compost.

15/01/2014 at 11:05
Hi Egox,some time ago this was suggested, cut 20 inches of drain pipe, in the middle cut hole about 4 inches square and place bait inside,,now cut 18 inch larger pipe and copy first, place this over smaller pipe and turn the smaller inside pipe so cut hole cant be seen, by turning the inside pipe so both holes are seen you can refill the inside small pipe, no harm to larger animals as they cant get into smaller pipe to eat , works better weighted down with a stone or something.
i cant upload a pic sorry but it does work and also by pulling the smaller pipe out you can discard without touching sort of thing,then re-bait and put back inside again you only have to make it lasts forever,bit sad but needs to be done
Alan
15/01/2014 at 11:36

My newly acquired Jack Russell has scared away the rats that apparently used to live under the concrete slab under the oil tank. They now live in a neighbour's garden; he shoots them with an air rifle as they walk along the fence.

16/01/2014 at 16:00

When it comes to rats you need to get the big guns in....either local pest control or rentokil...based on a friends experience...she had rats which chewed through the concrete of her kitchen wall to access her bags of rice in her kitchen cupboards....after weeks of faffing around with traps, poison, my ace mouser Isobel (cat)  etc rentokil turned up and the rats soon met their maker....never to return

email image
21 to 28 of 28 messages