London (change)
Today 13°C / 7°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 28 messages
16/11/2012 at 18:27
hi not sure if this is the right forum. i have rats nesting in the soil of my polytunnel, i know theres poison but with kids and dogs id rather try other ways. ive written on other garden forums with a few answers but most of them saying get a cat or jack russel. niether would be good in a tunnel. so if any ones got a good solution id like to hear, thank you in advance
16/11/2012 at 19:44

My Dad andus ue a product called Ratty that you can buy from Green Gardener. It really seams to work. If you can dig up the soil where they nest and put a metal mesh over i that helps as well.

17/11/2012 at 00:48

There is a thread entitled Rodents on the next page of this Forum.

17/11/2012 at 12:05
My cat Rocky! Ace rat catcher, unfortunately he likes to bring them home.
17/11/2012 at 12:12
thankyou for the replys, , as for rocky the ace rat catcher if you want to travel to ire and can promise he wont damage the plastic on the tunnel or bring them into the house thank you
17/11/2012 at 12:59

cats are best if not that terrier dogs with pest controller ,gone instance .

17/11/2012 at 14:35

This time of the year we have had problems with rats  in the green house. We  used some rat poisen  and put it in the hole ' it kept dissapearing till oneday it hadnt been touched.  Couldnt see anything but about a week later a smell , Found 2 rats behind plantpots. We are now having a good clean up - Clearing away anything rodants may use as nesting material. Turning all pots upside down etc  

17/11/2012 at 16:26

Rent a lion for a couple  of days !

17/11/2012 at 16:31
wish id thought of that,,may be you could give me the number i cant seem to find it in the yellow pages
17/11/2012 at 16:53

In another item in this forum, I think it was about squirrels, someone said rats don't like chilli pepper and paprika sprinkled about.

17/11/2012 at 17:28

Busy-Lizzie, isn't the object to kill them rather than discourage them?  They are rats, carriers of disease as well as the damage they do.

17/11/2012 at 18:02

In previous threads there have been people so anti killing anything I hardly dared suggest killing the dear little souls!! I suppose a professional rat catcher would be too expensive? That's what we had when rats killed my chickens.

18/11/2012 at 14:25

a rat catcher told me once chopped up glass in choc is the best way  to get rid of them but it still leaves the risk of other animals getting it.poisons are very difficult to keep away from cats and dogs.you have to kill these creatures as in numbers they can  cause havoc and come into your home.

18/11/2012 at 16:00

Flowering rose, on another thread I expressed my horror at this method of killing rats, yet you have just repeated it again.  Please think about what you have written. 

What if a dog picked up the carcase? Or the doctored chocolate bar?

If rat poison is placed inside a length of drain pipe no other animal can get at it. 

18/11/2012 at 16:45

Poison in a drain pipe is a really good idea. Wish I'd thought of it.

AJB
27/11/2012 at 12:24
We had rats under an old shed, we 'flushed' them out by putting hose down hole, they haven't come back 2 yrs later and no harm to the dog.
27/11/2012 at 12:40

Just out of interest, rats have managed to get into our Apple store. They have done a lot of damage to the fruit as you would expect. However, it is the manner of their ingress which is interesting. They have chewed their way through the floor.......................4 inches of concrete!

27/11/2012 at 13:56
Berghill wrote (see)

They have chewed their way through the floor.......................4 inches of concrete!

We had rats in the garden a few years ago and they had chewed through a 9" brick wall. The other side of the wall housed our neighbours garden shed but they obviously found the bird food in our garden worth the trouble. Got a rat scarer to deter them from our garden and the neighbour got the Pest Control people in to put poison down.

27/11/2012 at 16:13

Just discovered they have chewed their way out again, this time through the corner of the door. More work for me. Did find a dead one in the water butt, so the poison might be working at last.

02/05/2013 at 04:53

Throw a towel over the mouse. It will stay under the towel for a short time. Put an inverted waste-paper basket over the towel. Tuck the exposed bits of towel under the basket so it is in contact with the ground. Slide an LP record , or large piece of cardboard under the basket and towel. Carefully turn up the right way. Take outside and walk (or run!) the basket, mouse, and towel as far from your home as possible; once you're at least 200 feet from your home, release the mouse.

rat removal Brisbane

1 to 20 of 28 messages