Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

bind weed in compost bin!

If I emptied my green compost bin and covered the ground with weed suppressant fabric and started again, would this stop the problem. Weed coming in from neighbours wild patch. Could I use the contaminated compost if I went through it and got rid of the roots. Help someone?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

If it's coming up from the bottom the fabric should stop it. You would need to get all the root out to be free of it but it could be done. I find the big white hedge bindweed much easier to get rid of than the little pink field bindweed.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Sue HSue H Posts: 415
    Good advice. Suns out!! Just going to rush to it now. Xx
  • I agree with Nutcutlet. Just be sure to get all root fibers out. Even if there is a 10mm length...it will root again.image

Its a lovely plant, just once you have it...its a pain in the bum to get rid off

• Sue HSue H Posts: 415
    Had a go. Lovely warm day with occasional bit of sun. Took a while to sort through. Hopefully that will sort it out. Also found 3 bags of ancient manure behind shed that I had forgotten. What a bonus. All compost and manure now on raised beds and covered in black plastic. Will be already when spring comes.
  • Job well done Sue image