Start a new thread

1 to 7 of 7 replies

What's the best way of getting rid of this persistent weed please?

I've been following its trail of pure white roots and picking it all out - but before you know it, it's back!!

I would welcome advice on the same thing! We have just taken on an allotment and it's full of bind weed - question is rotavator or spade?
AliP

Are you organic or not is probably the main factor, roundup or similar systemic weedkill will certainly weaken it and with regular applications when you see more coming will go a long way to getting rid of it.  If you're organic then just keep picking out those roots and definitely don't use a rotavator else you will have 100's more little roots that will all start shooting leaves! Hope that helps. www.alisonpike.com/blog/

chel

I heard Bob flowerdew talking about this on a GQT one Sunday and he said he uses a blowtorch on his. I know this sounds drastic but he said it does something to the plant and kills the roots as well. I think he said you have to wait until there are good sized leaves to zap. Sorry I can't remember the exact details but I am going to try it this year when the shoots start appearing.

Hope this helps and do take care!

Advertisement

Hi I agree Ailp Roundup is the best it kills the root but it does take a bit of time to kill them and it does not harm the ground. I`m waiting for mine to kill of as it were, I will then rotavate it all in then plant happy days, teabag!!

donutsmrs

I also agree, Roundup is the best. I had lots of bind weed in my garden and Roundup was the one that got rid of it, it takes a while but it does work. If I do see any popping its ugly leaves up it gets a blast of Roundup so it doesn't stay in my garden for long. Good Luck