Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bind weed

Morning forkers I have a bed which is infested with bind weed other than the obvious which is dig everything up clean and wash the plants is there an alternative. 

Can I dig every thing up and clean then spray the soil in case I miss a tiny bit of root if so how long must I wait before replanting .

At the moment the bed is full of the usual phlox  geraniums , daisy , achellea , aconitums etc, the boss wants to fill it with lavender as the bed sits right outside his bed room windows. 

It is likely going to need around 150 plants to make a hedge around the bed, also I have ideas for in fill plants but picking the brains from the best won't hurt either thanks for any help as always lester

•  hi bulkerb       good luck with  it I was lucky in a way mine came fron next garden at home  and she said it was a nice flower when I told her  fell on deaf ears . so where it crept along the base of garden wall a good   I mean a good spraying it got as no soil but at present moment it has stopped (  if you can spray take plants wash them and put some where to keep i would give it a good spraying to last a few months.  but as it is coming up to winter take plants out now and spray every few weeks till spring  to make sure mine in next garden is years old but I am getting on top of it     good luck Michael  image 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Spraying at this time of year will not work. Weed killer needs to be sprayed onto weeds while they're in active growth. 

I don't think there's a lot you can do at the moment that will deal with the bindweed. I'd remove the plants you want to save in the spring and pot them up, then wait for the bindweed new growth to appear and spray with glyphosate, let if go brown , wait for regrowth and spray again. It may take several applicationS and a lot of patience. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• bulkerbbulkerb Posts: 258

thanks for the tips but not sure the clients will wait that long I'm afraid so it could be get on and dig lester you know how much you love all that exercise lol! but as I said thank you any way Lester.

Ask them if they want it done properly and so that it lasts image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I'd refuse the clients request. If it's what they want then explain the position. Digging out bindweed now is a hand fork job which will cost time and money. Client requests need to be listened to and then either accepted or told why not now. They'll respect you more for it than you realise. I do it all the time. Unrealistic expectations are the bain of my life. It's like dealing with children sometimes. If they want it done properly and it'll last then tell them. It always costs them more if they don't listen so point out the money bit, works for me.

yep point taken trouble is its bind weed in the terrace bed and ground elder in the side bed either way its a result of the previous gardeners lack of get up and go  i've clearly been taking my senior moment pills sorry well I still have time to build up my reserves to carry out such a technical and challenging task

You tell 'em, one year's weeds make seven years' seeds ................ it'll take time to undo the damage done by the last gardener if they want it done properly.  They've already been paying someone to do a rubbish job - one would hope they've learned their lesson ........ image

Hi peeps an update on the bed I have now removed various plants that are worth saving trouble is I can't have the time to breakdown the plants clean and wash them why do I bother my a__ to do extra bits I did also ask what ever plants they don't won't could I have them.

His manner changes and says well salvage what you can but you can't have any plants even though I don't want them pathetic.

I was going to take all the plants home and in my own time I was going to break them down wash clean and po

Hi peeps an update on the bed I have now removed various plants that are worth saving trouble is I can't have the time to breakdown the plants clean and wash them why do I bother my a__ to do extra bits I did also ask what ever plants they don't won't could I have them.

His manner changes and says well salvage what you can but you can't have any plants even though I don't want them pathetic.

I was going to take all the plants home and in my own time I was going to break them down wash clean and pot them up for myself oh well