London (change)
Today 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
4 messages
13/09/2013 at 03:47

I Have a problem with bindweed growing all over the bottom of my garden    iv sprayed it with weed killer it dying off but icant seem to find the root  as it spread so much   any tips how to find the root and how to get rid of tis horrid thing once and for all.  cheers   

13/09/2013 at 06:18

The best way to get rid of it is to spray it with glyphosate and then leave it to die back completely.  That way the roots will die too and you don't have to worry about them.

Although it would've been better to spray earlier in the year when the bindweed was growing more strongly, rather than in the autumn - you might find it re-appears next spring in a somewhat weakened form, but if you give it another good spraying and don't give it the chance to re-establish then you should have got it beaten.  If you do have to spray it in the spring, try to bruise the leaves a little first - it helps with the takeup of the weedkiller.

When we moved to our last house there was bindweed up to the bathroom roof - by doing as described above we got rid of it - we did have to keep a check on the boundaries tho' as it was coming in from neighbouring gardens - but one round with the sprayer each spring was enough to keep it at bay.

Good luck.

13/09/2013 at 12:16

It will have lots of roots, not just one so, as Dove says, spray regularly with glyphosate and this will eventually kill off all the roots too.  If you can't spray, the alternative is to pull off all visible top growth and check every few days for new shoots reappearing.  Remove these by hand or use a spot gel or paint on treatment of glyphosate on the leaves and eventually the roots will die from lack of food form above.  

Either way it's a slow process and requires patience.

Digging is another option but no matter how painstaking you are, little bits of root will be missed and will grow into new plants and you'll have to remove every visible bit form the roots of plants you want to keep as well as the soil in between.  

I'm going through this process myself after surgeries which have meant I've been unable to look after the garden for nearly 2 years so bindweed, couch grass, nettles, creeping buttercup and thistles have been enjoying themselves.   

13/09/2013 at 18:22

When we moved into our house the vegetable plot was smothered in bindweed.  I dug the entire area by hand, lifting each spadeful and crumbling it by hand to get out all the root.  It worked too!

I certainly wouldn't want to repeat the exercise now, 25 years later.  I would definitely go the weed killer route, but I was much more foolish then.

email image
4 messages