London (change)
Fri 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 11°C
21 to 37 of 37 messages
01/08/2013 at 19:56

Monsanto started off selling standard and GM soya separately, but the public were not keen on GM so Monsanto mixed the crops at harvest so that the world had to accept a proportion of GM soya. Over 5000 products in a typical supermarket have soya proteins. However, we are all looking the wrong way ..... soya protein does not pose that much of a threat. But the crops enhanced with toxin genes to make them pest resistant are THE threat. The crops kill any caterpillar that tries to graze them, but also pollinators that visit flowers or rest on foliage. There is no way cross-pollination with wild plants can be avoided and so the GM genie gets out the bottle and all our crops needing insect pollination yield less; and so the world ends, with a hungry whimper.

01/08/2013 at 20:39

Its not the soya protein thats the threat. Its the residue of glyphosate in the soya that disrupts hormones in the body that is the threat.

01/08/2013 at 20:57

Fidget...my worry exactly

02/08/2013 at 07:11

Back to bindweed ! I will never get rid of my bindweed because it comes through from a neglected garden next door. But I put Roundup in jam jar with a glue brush and paint it on the leaves and dip in the growing tips as they come through /under the fence - to try to protect my other plants. It seems to work well and they're dying back.....time will tell how effectively it will be in the long term 

02/08/2013 at 09:32

Marj, must try the leaf painting method, have tried most else. My bineweed seems to be spreading, I dig roots out by the bucketful, but every year I seem to find it futher into the beds.  I have even found it in the Lawn before now.  It's got so bad that I am using Roundup this year both as a liquid spray and the gel.  this really goes against the grain as I try to be as organic as possible where the fruit and veg are concerned but needs must as they say

02/08/2013 at 09:36

To dig out bind weed is to propagate it.  Every tiny piece of root....well, roots.  Glyphosate, used correctly, will work

02/08/2013 at 10:40

Many thanks for the advice about the bindweed, interesting that it kicked off a separate discussion! 

02/08/2013 at 12:20

Bindweed!!!  Grrr!  I'm like Sparkimarj - my neighbours don't do a thing to their garden and all their bindweed come tootling across to mine!  Have tried spraying (carefully); tried that Gel stuff which I think is v expensive and quite useless; tried pulling it out etc. but it still persists.

Will have to buy some Resolve and hope that that makes a difference? xx

02/08/2013 at 22:03

Perhapes none of us should eat soya and cook our own food from fresh, avoiding processed food all together, I do all my own cooking as I really have to be careful what I eat, not to mention that I know exactly what goes in to it and can eat with confidence. grow as much as you can in the garden, healthy option sowing growing and eating all from your own hard work will keep you fit. good luck to you all.

03/08/2013 at 08:16

For anyone who is digging up their bindweed (and providing it has not been chemically treated) there is a use for the plant instead of burning it or disposing of it in your rubbish bins.....

Drown the leaves and roots in a bucket of water (or larger depending on the extent of your problem) using a brick or stone to weigh everything down.  You then start to grown pondweed in the container which takes up the nutrients released from the bindweed as it decays.  Ater time the pondweed can be harvested and added to your compost heap for the future benefit of the plants you want to grow.

03/08/2013 at 11:45

Verdun wrote (see)

To dig out bind weed is to propagate it.  Every tiny piece of root....well, roots.  Glyphosate, used correctly, will work

Physical removal is possible, but entails many hours with a riddle and a keen eye. I've done it once with a smallish garden. It requires tenacity and time.

Glyphosate knocks it back, but it depends on how extensive the root system is. I get smaller plants growing from small sections of root that have survived. Again, it requires tenacity.

Treating the stuff with gel would be an expensive option (unless working with a small infestation). I've had a mixed success with the gel on bramble. Again, tenacity seems to be the word. It may take more than one application, depending on the size of the root run. The bramble is coming through a drystone wall ovelooking a pond, so spraying is definitely not an option.

06/08/2013 at 14:52

I have decided to use a weed killer on bindweed on my allotment paths

Unfortunately digging it out of the beds has had some limited success but it looks like targeted weed killer spray is the only solution , having read all the comments

wondered if anybody had an organic solution ?

07/08/2013 at 12:43

Bindweed - the bane of my life!  It has come from next door under the fence all the 30 years we've lived here, and I can't eradicate it. The only saving grace is that it hasn't spread out of its patch near this fence. About 5 years ago, I went the whole hog, and dug out everything in the affected area including shrubs as I knew it was entangled in the roots. Soil was sieved, so I knew what was left was weed-free. I also remember digging down at the fence as much as I could, and putting in a barrier of old concrete blocks below fence level.

Still, within a year I had the stuff back, as prodigious as before, in 20+ places, strangling shrubs and breaking my heart. Other than unentangling it from shrubs, and cutting it down a foot or so above ground level, I haven't had the resolve to have another stab at it. I have heard people say to put this physical barrier in to stop it invading, but my experience has been that the weed will burrow beneath any barrier I put in, so if I can't stop it invading what's the point in really digging it out?

07/08/2013 at 14:14

I have the same problem. It grows out from under old stone walls in my garden. I haven't had time to shove it in bottles to spray and usually it's too wrapped around plants by the time I see it. I just need to go on holiday for 2 weeks and it's out of control. I have over an acre, full of herbaceous borders and a big veggie garden. It's in the lawns as well. I weedspray the main flower garden lawn, would cost a fortune to do all of it. When it comes out of the paving stones I spray it, in 2 or 3 weeks it looks dead then new leaves appear.

14/08/2013 at 21:51

Bind weed - just pulling out regularly seems to have weakend the plant - still comes up occaisionally but only because the allotments surrounding me do not control theirs (I think). It's mares tail & buttercups that are the evil weeds for me, they are getting everywhere - very distressing - any advise fellow gardeners?

14/08/2013 at 23:59

Might be worth a try 

http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Tagetes+minuta                        

31/08/2013 at 08:53

Thank you addict, I will try this next season and if it doesn't help I will have lovely flowers in my garden! 

email image
21 to 37 of 37 messages