London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 11°C
1 to 20 of 37 messages
31/07/2013 at 16:23

Does anyone have any ideas of how to kill bindweed?  I am currently trialing the roundup gel. 

31/07/2013 at 17:02

I haven't had much success with this gel.  The theory is good, but in practise it doesn't seem to do the job.

For bindweed, I unwind it from the plant around which it has lovingly entwined itself and then use a large drink bottle (2 litre lemonade size is good).  With the bottom cut off, it makes a long sort of a bell shape.  I poke the bindweed up through the neck of the bottle, and then spray into the bottle with regular weedkiller.  This means that the bottle protects surrounding plants, and the whole thing is left for a week or so until the bindweed has died.  It works pretty well - although the roots are the devil to kill outright, and it may come back a couple of times.  But this method will weaken it initially and eventually kill it.

This method is also very good when the stuff is in the middle of a much-loved plant that needs protecting.

Hope this helps.

31/07/2013 at 18:17

I am letting mine grow until autumn (wrapped around my peas and beans).  Then in autumn (as the plant draws the goodness from the leaves down to the roots ready for winter) I will be giving it a good dose of glyphosate.  I am removing all of the flowers as I see them.

31/07/2013 at 18:37

If I may add to Shrinking's post I have had good success with this using a slightly different method, by making up roundup out of a concentrate with ~10-20% more water and then pouring it in a bottle (it must be clear for good results) you can ball up the bindweed, shove it in and keep the bottle in a light place.

The rational is that by keeping the bottle in the light the bindweed will photosynthesize and draw the weedkiller into the plant at great amounts, therefore hugely overdosing the root system instead of just weakening it.

I have always recommended this in my shop and so far it has been entirely effective.

The Bearded One

31/07/2013 at 18:51

This issue of bindweed is a regular one.  I find it a very easy weed to eradicate. It needs to be sprayed during the growimg season when it is at its most vigorous.  Best routine is to spray the initial rosettes in early spring. Then to spray any further shoots when seen.  To apply a third on shoots seen after this.  6 hours of dry weather, and cloudy weather is better than bright sunshine.  

There are many techniques....I have used most of them.  Wrapping tendrils around a bamboo cane and spraying the gathered foliage..  Carefully unwrapping from host plants and spraying foliage on the ground.  

I had a garden full of bindweed..my neighbours have it and it was suffocating my raspberries and other plants.  Not a trace remains. I'm currenly helping a friend clear her garden of bindweed with the same success.  I think it was Fairygirl who suggested Resolva is best brand and I think she is right.  That gel is not too good.

31/07/2013 at 19:11

Unfortunately the gel is never absorbed well (wish they could bring back ammonium sulphamate!) as far as I know most of the systemic (non SBK) weedkillers use 7.2g/L glyphosate, the main difference is the carrier. (That said roundup itself is more toxic to plants than the active ingredient I understand)

The Bearded One

31/07/2013 at 20:00

There used to be a glyphosate mix in a bottle with a brush built into the cap.  This was very effective.  

Isn't  nature fascinating?  In my friend's veg patch I planted a wigwam of runner beans for her.  Bindweed has "decided" to grow next to 3 of those bean plants.  The foliage is very similar.  I will disentangle bindweed and lay it to one side and spray it.  I expect some shoots later because the ground was dug and roots in the soil will grow. But, by summer's end bindweed will be "convulsed" (convolvulous....convulsed?) into being no more!........I'll get my coat

31/07/2013 at 20:23

Verd -yes Resolva's the only one worth having in my opinion. Not a fan of weedkiller, but when you need it that's the best one as it works quickly.

I remember the one with the brush too.

Weeds are extremely clever at growing around other plants they look like.  By the time you realise they are weeds it's often too late and they have a stranglehold! 

31/07/2013 at 21:38

I read in Gardeners world that people have glyphosate residues in their body. On investigating further it seems that Monsanto have modified Soya beans to be resistant to roundup. They then spray the entire field, and kill off all the weeds leaving just the soya. ( A bit like lawn weedkiller killing all broadleaved weeds in a lawn and leaving the grass.)

However the resistant strain of soya  still absorbs the roundup, but it doesn't kill it.

When we eat this GM Soya, which is in many processed foodstuffs, we then retain glyphosate residues.  It is thought to promote breast cancer, by interfering with hormone pathways. Monsanto are trying to get the legal limit of  residue in Soya beans raised. I think that GM modified Soya should be banned altogether.

31/07/2013 at 22:43

That's scary.   We are all guinea pigs.  Always have been I guess

01/08/2013 at 00:53

Mm theres nothing wrong with GM crops used wisely, like the Flavr Savr tomato (basicly reversed the tomatoes own RNA to stop it breaking down so fast and last longer on shelves) but reckless chemical enablement (and indeed reckless chemical use should always be avoided.

01/08/2013 at 08:32

Bump

01/08/2013 at 08:37

Trouble is....we just don't know do we?  Gm crops are a gamble

01/08/2013 at 12:23

They are, especially whilst in the hands of companies like Monsanto (see the crosspollination issues where they sue farmers when their GM plants cross with farmers)

I suppose it comes down to, there is no need to make chemical resistant crops (a bad idea to start with in my eyes) if growers and buyers vary what they produce, I don’t have a link but there was an interview with an organic potato farmer who didn’t use certain fungicides simply because he didn’t grow golden wonder potatoes... with the money he saved not spraying there was very little difference in profit to conventional growers!

However much I would love to see leguminous tomatoes or more productive staple crops, at the moment I can’t help think GM is shooting itself in the foot a bit.

01/08/2013 at 12:56

I trained my bindweed up some canes and then smeared a rubber glove with the roundup gel and put it all over  the plant. Had to do it a couple of times but it did work. 

01/08/2013 at 15:46

I didn't think that GM crops were approved for sale in the UK or has that changed now?

01/08/2013 at 15:49

The problem with soya, is that its all GM now. Its used  in so many processed foods  and as a flour improver in bread. You might not even know it's there.

Dash of Soy sauce in your chinese anyone?

01/08/2013 at 16:17

just keep deep digging say in January and get every bit of white root out of the soil, keep pulling at the slightest trace of bindweed whenever you see it, avoid  weed killers etc as harmful to wildlife. I never totally eradicate but it can be kept to a minimum.

01/08/2013 at 16:59

I a fan of consistent and regular weed pulling not a great fan of weeded killers unless they are ofthetwo legged variety!!! Bind weed is a real pain but if you keep at it it eventually gives up. Keep at it.

01/08/2013 at 19:08

I just pull bindweed up whenever I see it - that seems to weaken it and I have less now than two years ago.  As for soya, why would you eat it when there are home-grown veg and 'proper' meat to eat?  Mind you, I like a bit of Soya Sauce in my mince sometimes and with a Chinese.

1 to 20 of 37 messages