London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
21 to 31 of 31 messages
03/01/2013 at 11:52

Am having technical probs posting today, this is a test run.

19/05/2013 at 19:44

Hi-ya. I am after a solution in our garden. I live in a house with a rather ornate garden, the owner is (quite rightly) very garden proud. But I am a bit over enthusiastic with bird feeding - I just love them. however as you can probably imagine I am the cause of a large amount of random sunflower growths and other "weed's" and random grasses.

We don't believe in Microwaves at all, they surly strip some of the goodness out of anything they heat. and it would not be the place to shove an unsightly stone or plastic tray... around the ground under the feeder area is a flower bed with very pretty flowers- amongst my dropped seed gorilla gardening. they also form clumps of stubborn stuff that forms a lump... Don't really want to move feeder - in ideal location in terms of view from Kitchen and Summer house.

So any great ideas would be greatly received - No microwave, No big rocks, no nasty plastic trays... Any help ??? - Please and Thank you 

19/05/2013 at 20:06

I recently heard of similar thing to the microwave tecnique

Just spread seed on a baking tray and place in a warm oven for a few mins 

( not tried it myself ) 

19/05/2013 at 20:23

Laurie - I don't think there is anything else that could be done, just let the birds do their thing

26/07/2013 at 17:07

Yes thick grass that digs up like a mat.  I was searching for a bird feeder base that catches the seed but have so far failed to find one.  There is 'no mess' seed but it is more expensive than the ordinary seed

12/08/2013 at 16:39

I've tried the RSPB's anti-squirrel cages on my feeders. (They work, but a brown rat managed to get into one. .177 solved that problem.) They have conical bases that can be attached either way up, so you can shed the spillage onto the ground or retain it. These nominally have drainage holes, but they're inadequate, as the damp spillage clogs them. I use them as catcher dishes under the peanut feeders (mostly full of treat pellets because nobody eats peanuts) but have them the other way up under the seed mix, so it ends up on the ground. It lands in a layer of pine needles from the trees around the feeder pole (positioned for the birds' benefit, not for viewing) and doesn't grow, so no worries there. Where I've put food on stumps for the blackbirds, I do get growth, but it's no big deal in the hedge.

One thing I've found growing where I feed blackbirds that I definitely didn't put out for them: elder trees. Every year, when the berries ripen, the blackbirds feast on berries then come for food in my garden and paint the area around their food stumps and rocks purple. Then there are elder seedlings. If anybody needs a dozen of them, let me know. 

23/08/2013 at 01:04

hi laurie, you can buy bird seed called no grow i get mine at my local pet shop

21/10/2013 at 10:10

I use Feed and Weed for nyger seed on the grass. I notice the birds do eat the seed spilt on the slabs including the goldfinches who can't crowd onto the long feeder. I got a hook screw and tray with the very expensive slit feeder, but the screw did not fit.  The feed and weed is only to done when grass is growing, but I keep it up as long as the nyger seed keep growing.

Roberta

21/10/2013 at 21:32
Can you buy this treated seed form any good pet shop, and how does it actually work?
21/10/2013 at 21:37

It is heat treated to stop it germinating.

I get my bird food from these people, and they deliver it.

http://www.gardenbird.co.uk/ultiva-finest-blend.html

21/10/2013 at 22:25

We got the glue gun out and stuck a plastic plate (aka of the cheap picnic variety) to the bottom of our feeder. It halves the amount of food that seems to drop on the floor. Its not perhaps the prettiest of things but it works just fine if anyone is looking for a 99p cure.

email image
21 to 31 of 31 messages