London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
10 messages
02/05/2013 at 09:24

Some advice please. Last year a bird nested in my potting shed down the bottom of the garden. I ended up with bird poo all over my lawn mower and the sad sight of dead baby bird fallen from the nest. Plus I got divebombed every time I went in there!

The door has a little gap where they are getting in (difficult to fix without spending a fortune) and this year I've  noticed them swooping around the door again. They are black with pointy wings...very fast...a Swift maybe? I have strung up CDs by the door to put them off.

Is there anything else I can do?

02/05/2013 at 09:33

They are swallows.

How opinions vary!!  I welcome them back to my shed every year.  They are in there twittering as I write.

Ali, if everybody had your attitude, where would they nest?  Open the door if you can, cover the lawn mower and enjoy their presence!

02/05/2013 at 09:58

Welshonion

02/05/2013 at 09:59

Ali Newbie, I suggest you put on a bicycle helmet when you go into the shed!

02/05/2013 at 11:49

If it wasn't for the dive bombing I would welcome them! I must admit I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to birds (And not very knowledgeable as you can tell) Surely it would be incredibly stressful for them me coming in and out every day especially when the young are in the nest? Its a very confined space. We have another nest in a hedge by the house.

Maybe I'm just a meanie...don't tell the RSPB on me 

02/05/2013 at 12:40

Very often they nest in cow sheds and such where there is lots of coming and going, I don't think it bothers them too much. If they are breeding now, let them get it over with and try and cover the hole later in the year. Perhaps you could put some chicken wire over it.

02/05/2013 at 14:57

Thanks SwissSue. I always thought I was being cruel disturbing them but Ill let them nest and cover the mower. maybe it'll bring me some good gardening karma!

02/05/2013 at 15:06

Good on ya, and don't forget the crash helmet!

02/05/2013 at 17:04

Don't worry about disturbing them! There's some nesting under the main entrance archway of a National Trust building around here, people walking under them all day and the birds couldn't care less!  

02/05/2013 at 18:04

We had a nest in the milking parlour right by the door.  When I opened the door to let each lot of cows in I was just inches from the nest.  They never turned a feather!

Let them nest where the will, if you can.

email image
10 messages