London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
01/07/2013 at 08:17

Hi my second year veg growing ... My Greenhouse  is full of new seedilings doing well except green and black fly.  Ive tried Organic bug spray ... plants that are companion plants in pots in the Greenhouse .... Yellow stickies to grap the flies as they pass but still the little blighters persist ... Need your help very much a novice

Thank you my friends

xx

01/07/2013 at 08:37

Ging

Have you tried the soap sprays!  Based on fatty acids I think.

Black fly are easily removed between finger and thumb.  Often they are on the new growth tips so should be able to control them. On seedlings be more gentle though.

Are the seedlings edible crops?  If not you could use a systemic insecticide.  ....black and green fly are not really difficult to control.

Just a thought, but when you use your organic spray did you spray under the leaves, around the trays or pots and even under them?

01/07/2013 at 08:44

Yes they are mostly edible Verdun.  No just a quick spray on top of leaves.  Will do under and around trays.  mmm Soap sprays I will have to check this out too

Thank you for your Help Verdun

Much appreciated

xx

01/07/2013 at 09:14

Ok ging....avoid chemicals then.  

01/07/2013 at 15:58

cheers Verdun

01/07/2013 at 16:52

Could you not move them outside for a few days and let the predators move in? No chance of frosts now. 

01/07/2013 at 21:52

Have moved some of them out ... I was hoping the companion planting would work

I thought the Green house was more of  protection but the little blighters still found them.  All seems calm with the soap wash at present will need to keep this up. Vedun how often to I need to do this?

thank you all

01/07/2013 at 22:03

As and when with the soap sprays Ging.  You can jet them off just with water but not advisable when it's delicate seedlings! Fine with more robust shrubs and perennials etc. Apparently it makes the little b*****s explode....

02/07/2013 at 00:19

Fairygirl,....you called Verdun now?

As and when with the soap sprays Ging.  You can jet them off just with water but not advisable when  It's delicate seedlings!  Fine with more robust shrubs and perennials erc.  Apparently it makes the little b********s explode......'o')

02/07/2013 at 06:30

Chuckle 

02/07/2013 at 13:59

03/07/2013 at 10:12

I get rid of greenfly &c. with cayenne pepper in soapy water - always worked so far

03/07/2013 at 10:47

thats interesting will try that one if they persist ... thank you partridge I realised that although Green houses like moisture so do the pests

Do you all throw water on the concrete ground in your Green house to keep it at a good moisture level in the sun ?? This was a tip I heard

03/07/2013 at 20:42

Spraying the floor will keep up humidity levels, keeping a watering can full in there will also help with humidity.

23/08/2013 at 18:17

thank you Zoomer sorry didnt respond before email didnt come through xx

23/08/2013 at 18:52

I always plant Tegetus plants between my tomatoes in my greenhouse, they look quite nice, smell of fox when brushed against, but most of all for the last 3 years i have had NO white fly, bought some sticky strips and hung them, but no flies on them .before i always had clouds of white flie, 

23/08/2013 at 18:58

I'd look a lot further ahead, ie next years greenhouse sowings etc

by this i mean start off before any seeds /plants even go into the greenhouse to do three things and keep these three things going,

(1) give the greenhouse a clean using "Jays fluid" this is all the greenhouse  "glass frame of the greenhouse and all seed trays /pot and tools you use in the greenhouse, And use a smoke grenade to get in the places you cant even see.

(2) only use clean compost in the greenhouse ie its a breeding ground for bacteria and insects (as you've found out)

I myself inspite of having three good compost heaps on the go "only use bought vacuumed packed compost" It's as clean as your going to get.

(3) Make sure the bought plants etc are from a good gardencentre, ie if you just buy and put the bought plants in the greenhouse you could be bringing in plants that already have the eggs etc on them,

I use tagetes in my greenhouse and have done for many years and have done all ive listed i dont have problems that your having.

PS I should have said, you can also use a nylon netting to cover window openings and the doorway opening if you finr a need to leave these open during hot weather,

07/09/2013 at 12:14

Thank you for the tips potting shed and Smokin Donkey will try them out.

09/11/2013 at 12:59

After trying lots of different methods of trying to get rid of these pests, I've finally found something that worked for me ( and other people who've tried it )

I put an inch deep layer of vermiculite on top of the soil in the pots and hung a sticky trap near the plants to catch the active flies, they take about two weeks to clear altogether using this method so be patient.

I believe this works because the flies don't lay their eggs in the vermiculite and they don't dig through it to the soil.

09/11/2013 at 13:18

Is this for fungus gnats Lurex? 

Great to be able to deter them 

1 to 20 of 22 messages