10 messages
16/07/2014 at 19:52

hiya

i have black flys on the top of the soil, is there anything we could use ( pet friendly ) that we could use to stop them. 

Thanks guys ????

16/07/2014 at 21:16

Do you have a photo? There are zillions of types of fly in the British Isles!

I tend to live and let live. Things that appear (a) generally disappear as fast as they came and (b) pose no threat to anyone or anything but are just trying to earn a crust like the rest of us.

Send us a picture and some fly lover will tell us what you have there.

17/07/2014 at 08:47

pansyface

when planting they are just a nuiscance, from my research it looks like gnats! i cannot get near the soil for these pests.

17/07/2014 at 09:11

Sticky fly paper and stop watering your pots from above, let the top soil dry out and only water into a dish under the pot

17/07/2014 at 10:43

Not sure if I have this quite right, but are we taking 'soil' or compost here?

I suspect it's compost, in which case they will be fungus gnats.

Fungus gnats” (scientific name Sciaridae).....these live in potted plant compost. They can be very hard to get rid of, depending on how many infested pots you've got.

Nearly everyone who has potted plants has these flies in their homes but they sometimes become a nuisance.

Re-pot the plant completely with sterilised potting compost and spay the compost with BTi (available as 'Gnatrol' in the garden centre)

If they are in garden soil, disregard the above.

17/07/2014 at 10:55

If it is compost and indoors then yes, fungus gnats. I thought it must be outside because of the word soil. There is a small black fly, like a fruit fly, that congregates on the soil at this time of year. They sit in the sun and wave their wings at each other. Apart from that, I never see them.  I have no idea what they are or what role they have in the ecology of the garden. I call them semaphore flies.

17/07/2014 at 11:01

....if they are outside in garden soil, they could be ants or a host of other species.

17/07/2014 at 12:34

we made a border and put compost on the top and they seem to just love it!

we are not watering from above we have a computerised watering system in place.

17/07/2014 at 12:50

All part of life's rich tapestry.

18/07/2014 at 17:13

I meant automated watering system pansyface 

email image
10 messages