London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
7 messages
29/07/2013 at 20:57

Hello, 

I've joined this forum to ask this question, as we have made a huge mistake. We bought some evergreen 4 in 1, but were very naive and put too much on the lawn, leaving lots of black marks and holes. Considering the lawn was pretty much all weeds, it's a wonder it doesn't look worse. 

Here is a picture of the lawn as it stands now: 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28387.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

Pretty bad huh? Just wondering what we can do to fix this, and hoping the blackness will not be permanent. I know grass can grow under the worst conditions, so we're hoping in time it will go back to normal colour.

Any advise in the meantime would be very helpful. 

Thanks!

29/07/2013 at 21:07

Hi, the lawn will eventually grow back green but it might take a while as its been scorched.  Only thing I can suggest is loads and loads of watering to try and dilute the feed through the soil a bit.  Give it a good rake during autumn to remove dead grass and weeds etc, reseed it and top dress it with some top soil and hope for a damp warm autumn.  Might take a while but you'll get there with it eventually.  Think you'll find you're not the only one who has made this mistake - I know I have in the past. 

29/07/2013 at 21:44

Grass is very resilient and grows from the base.  It can survive intense grazing, wildfires and drought.  I wouldn't worry about it at all.  

29/07/2013 at 21:51

Don't panic - the black bits are probably weeds - they will die off - the fertiliser will help the grass to grow and spread and replace the weeds - as others have said give it plenty of water and try not to worry - it'll be fine in a month or two 

29/07/2013 at 22:01

Phew, I think you've all put my mind at rest a bit! Would over seeding be overkill, or do you think this might help?

29/07/2013 at 22:29

Leave it for a bit Matt, just water it loads.  Seed it in the autumn if it needs it.

29/07/2013 at 22:39

Hi, Ive been gardening for many years now and this very problem your having is one i also did many years ago and in spite of using the correct push fertilzer machine set at the correct setting i still had a mess of a lawn to put up with,

I now only use liquid fertilizer (infact tomato fertilizer or my own home made comfrey liquid feed,)

But however you can use general purpose solid (like small pea's) fertilizer that will feed the lawn but wont leave it looking burnt,

ref the larger lawn weeds, again a tried & tested method is to firstly water the weeds with cold water that has washing up liquid in it "this gives grip to the next stage and that is to use a tea spoon of salt onto the centre of the weeds

the salt will kill the weeds, or again after you've watered the weeds use a tea spoon of gerneral fertilzer "again this will also kill the weed but it feeds the area we're the seed once lived,

grass will soon cover the bald space left when the weeds are dead or if your in a hurry to grow grass in this area again, a small amount of grass seed's can be sown in the bald space.and watered daily until it starts to germinate.

email image
7 messages