London (change)
Today 9°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 7°C
9 messages
29/07/2013 at 20:57

I've joined this forum to ask this question, as we have made a huge mistake. We bought some evergreen 4 in 1, but were very naive and put too much on the lawn, leaving lots of black marks and holes. Considering the lawn was pretty much all weeds, it's a wonder it doesn't look worse. 

Here is a picture of the lawn as it stands now:

Pretty bad huh? Just wondering what we can do to fix this, and hoping the blackness will not be permanent. I know grass can grow under the worst conditions, so we're hoping in time it will go back to normal colour.

Any advise in the meantime would be very helpful. 

29/07/2013 at 21:07

Hi, the lawn will eventually grow back green but it might take a while as its been scorched.  Only thing I can suggest is loads and loads of watering to try and dilute the feed through the soil a bit.  Give it a good rake during autumn to remove dead grass and weeds etc, reseed it and top dress it with some top soil and hope for a damp warm autumn.  Might take a while but you'll get there with it eventually.  Think you'll find you're not the only one who has made this mistake - I know I have in the past. 

29/07/2013 at 21:44

Grass is very resilient and grows from the base.  It can survive intense grazing, wildfires and drought.  I wouldn't worry about it at all.  

29/07/2013 at 21:51

Don't panic - the black bits are probably weeds - they will die off - the fertiliser will help the grass to grow and spread and replace the weeds - as others have said give it plenty of water and try not to worry - it'll be fine in a month or two 

29/07/2013 at 22:01

Phew, I think you've all put my mind at rest a bit! Would over seeding be overkill, or do you think this might help?

29/07/2013 at 22:29

Leave it for a bit Matt, just water it loads.  Seed it in the autumn if it needs it.

18/06/2015 at 10:46

how long after using evergreen complete can you put down grass seed as i have black patches please help someone

18/06/2015 at 11:22

Brenda, those black patches are prob areas of dying moss.  I would wait a couple of weeks yet to see if grass grows there.

17/07/2015 at 15:23

the black patches is dead moss/weeds, you need to rake the dead stuff up to allow for the grass to grow

email image
9 messages