London (change)
Today 8°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
21 to 28 of 28 messages
30/07/2014 at 16:39

Thank you Buddyboy. My concern about the watering comes from the fact that my attempt at daffodils failed dismally due to the rainfall on top of the fact that it is a north facing garden and heavy clay soil. Even the squirrels did not like my daffodils and took one bite and threw them aside..

I water every third day because I read it somewhere and it all looks reasonable so far.

I do find my roses a problem as they seem to be the prima donnas of the garden wanting so much attention or they go mouldy and spotty. I have now got 3 Kew and they are brilliant and prolific.

30/07/2014 at 20:49

What is high potash fertiliser?  I keep hearing it but only know that it's in liquid tomato feed, which is very very expensive to use over summer on all my plants! I currently dig in chicken manure, rose feed granules and mulch with manure in spring, then sprinkle a bit more around in mid-summer , do I also need to feed weekly with tomato feed? On the black spot front, I spray with weak sulphur solution (green gardeners), take off affected leaves and dispose in bin, ensuring that , and I use a paint brush for this, the ground around is coated in the sulphur solution too. The new growth is coming through clear. 

30/07/2014 at 21:14

Potash is Potassium oxide its a common term for minerals containing water soluable Potassium

Bonfire ashes is high in Potash and can be spread in your borders and it also can be mixed with water and fed to tomato and chilli plants

Also after a potato crop where they use up potash you can spread bonfire ashes on the ground to build up the potash in the soil that has been depleted

30/07/2014 at 21:31

The twiggier and stickier the fuel for the bonfire the higher the proportion of potash in the ashes will be.  

The old allotmenteers in our village used to dry off their runner bean haulms and burn them on a dry winter's day along with old pea sticks etc.  

Then they'd incorporate the ash into their compost heap - fantastic for growing squashes and pumpkins on the following year.

30/07/2014 at 21:36

David Morgan, thank you for your advice

31/07/2014 at 19:35

Interesting, thanks. Does that include then BBQ ash as I've been putting that in the compost ? 

31/07/2014 at 20:11

Same question for log burner ash.....? 

31/07/2014 at 21:57

Re blackspot I usually spray my roses with multirose v early in the season.  I normally have no trouble.  This year I noticed loads of spots not only on my roses but on other plants.  I could not believe I had such a problem - then about a week later I realised what it was, my neighbour had sprayed his fence.

email image
21 to 28 of 28 messages