Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Blind shoots on Ispahan rose

I have an Ispahan rose which was beautiful for several years then started to develop long blind shoots which didn't appear to be suckers so I just pruned out.  Last year it was so big I had to cut it back really hard - down to 2 feet or so.  This year it's produced loads of blind shoots which would overwhelm the flowering shoots so I've had to cut them down. I've obviously done something wrong.  Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I don't know this rose but wonder if the 'blind' shoots are ones which would flower in the second year

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Yes Nut, the Ispahan rose is a Damask which only flowers on old wood never on new growth.  

They should only ever be lightly pruned, cutting out dead stems and weak twiggy growth after flowering., and side shoots can be shortened at the same time, but part of the attraction of the damask group of roses is their elegant growth which should be preserved.  It should never be pruned in the early spring like a Hybrid Tea.

Hard pruning often leads to dieback and possibly the loss of the bush.

I think all you can do is leave well alone for the next few years and give this poor rose the chance to recover  - fingers crossed image

I've just checked and David Austin stocks this rose - I suggest you contact them and see if they have any advice.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

...yes I think that's what has happened here... Ispahan flowers at midsummer only, one fairly long flush, and it flowers on last years wood, which it sounds as though you've been cutting off...  this is a rose that you must give it it's head so to speak, and let it grow without too much pruning...

...also, the best way with it, if you can, is to peg it down, by this I mean we take the long shoots that have grown up [that will flower next year] and bend them down in an arch shape towards the soil, being careful you don't snap them off...then tie with string and tie the string to a large hook which you will have hammered into the ground.... or long nail even...

you get a lot more flowers this way and the rose will take on a 'fan' shape...

I grew Ispahan's in my Cornish garden, had 3 together, they grew to about 6 or 7 foot and this is how I dealt with them.... it's a glorious rose when grown in this manner...  it must not be treated like a modern rose...

oops... I see Dovefromabove has already covered it... I was a bit late thereimage

Nice to have confirmation from you Salino - satisfying to see that we East Anglians concur.  image

Good idea about pegging the long growth down image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

...thank you Dove... well, it's one of the places for roses isn't it...?image... have you ever been to, or heard of, Mannington Hall gardens, up near Aylsham...?  home of the Walpole family...?  it's wonderful, I used to go there nearly every year... but not for a while now... thousands of roses, especially the older types... I used to prefer it to the better known National Trust garden at Mottisfont in Hampshire....

On my to do list as soon as I retire Salino as it's really not very far from us - have I mentioned that I'm retiring soon - thought I had image

..aww I didn't know that... must have been asleep..image  I am too...

Really??? When ??? image

...next year... but I hope to carry on working a little..... a very little... as little as possible in fact....image...it keeps the mind active and you meet people... 1 day a week should suffice...image

I've got much too much that's important to do to be able to find any time at all to work image

Gardening, painting, writing, singing, going to the theatre, listening to music, walking, sewing, cooking, visiting friends, visiting gardens (with friends?) - maybe we should meet up at Mannington next summer - you could show me around?   You've just said that meeting people is important image