Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bolting rubarb

Hi everyone, help! my rubarb has bolted already. Why does this happen so eary in the year and what do I do about it?

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Just cut off all the flowering stems as and when they appear.  Water well and give them a liquid feed as a tonic.  Mulch generously with some good garden comost or well rotted manure after the plants have had a good soaking.   Give them another good mulch in autumn when the crowns have died down.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • LozLoz Posts: 69

Thank you obelixx. image Will they still fruit as normal throughout the year?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

If the plant has tried to run to seed it will have used up a lot of energy from the crown, so I would reduce how much you take and don't take any stalks after the end of June.  This will enable the crown to build up strength for next year.

Rhubarb crowns sometimes bolt because they were stressed in the previous year, either by drought or over cropping. 

If you give it a bit of tlc as Obelix has advised it'll be fine again for next year. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Thank you Dovefromabove....nice to speak to you again! image at the moment it has a huge stalk coming up from the middle so I'm presuming it's bolted... So I just cut that off from the bottom, treat it to some TLC as obelixx has said, then take the fruit just till the end of June? I did take more than one crop last year and it was a new plant. I also moved it towards the end of last year..

Good morning Loz image  Well, you have your answer as to why it's bolted image

I don't pick stalks in the first year after planting, and I wouldn't pick any after moving a plant either - but we live and we learn and that's what gardening's about.  

I'd cut or pull and twist the flowering stem right away from the base of the plant and put it on the compost heap.  It's a shame because they are so beautiful, I would love to draw it, but we have to be practical! image

Your rhubarb felt threatened and thought it might die because its growing conditions have been stressful, so that's why it's trying to  reproduce before it pops its clogs.  You need to convince it that it's got many happy years ahead of it, so to be honest, after your explanation of what it had to put up with last year I wouldn't take any stems this year - treat it as Obelixx has said - you'll reap the rewards next year. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Whoopsi!! Yes it's true, we live and learn...thank heavens for this forum and you guys!!

I'm off out to cuddle my rubarbimage then hopefully It will reward me next year!

Once again..thank you for your help both. image

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Well now I know why mine has been 'flowering' too image I has asked a question about what to do when it flowers a couple of weeks ago so knew the answer to that, what I didn't know were the reasons why.

Mine is a well established rhubarb that probably needs splitting, however I did take the fruit stalks off at the end of September last year as I made rhubarb chutney with it, now I know I will not be doing that this year, thanks everyone image

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478

Hello , yes I have the same problem

wondered what liquid feed you would use ?image

I don't use liquid feed on my rhubarb - I use FB&B in the spring and mid-summer, and mulch with copious amounts of well-rotted farmyard manure in the spring and autumn.  

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478

Hello , what's FB&B ?image