London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
6 messages
11/07/2012 at 18:49

Help!

We had some new turf laid last October, in place of old fruit bushes.  Unfortunately we now have brambles and mint growing through.  I have tried stump and bramble killer on the main plants, but how do I get rid of the bits growing through the lawn without killing the grass?

Any help would be appreciated.

11/07/2012 at 19:10

If you had new lawn laid do you mean by a professional company?-if so have you spoken to them?

For weeds growing in grass you would need a selective lawn weed killer that works on dandelions and such like-you could try that-other than that then regular mowing in time might solve it.

12/07/2012 at 07:08
sotongeoff wrote (see)
... regular mowing ...

There are very few plants that can survive regular mowing.

Another way to remove brambles from grass is to use a mattock to strike at the root small ball and physically remove it. It will make a small hole in the lawn, but the turf can simply be replaced.

12/07/2012 at 07:11
12/07/2012 at 11:59

I must agree with sotongeoff, I would speak with the company who laid the turf, it is supposed to be weed free, and I imagine it was not cheap.  Mint can be almost as hard to get rid of as the brambles, but if you keep mowing it is will give up eventually, not much besides grass tolerates having its head chopped off regularly.  Also your garden will smell lovely each time you cut, mown grass and mint - lovely idea. 

16/07/2012 at 12:34

Thanks for the suggestions. If it ever stops raining long enough I will certainly try the selective weed killer, and in the meantime enjoy the lovely smell!

email image
6 messages