London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 26 messages
30/09/2012 at 16:37

Hi all just started to do a few arears of ground just ouside my flat,

have taken on quite a lot now, trying to clear exsisting fabric ground cover, and gravel

lots of weeds and some old rose bushes which i have cut down, i have a couple of old small trees which have sawed down but need to find a way of killing them off properly

I have probs with brambles growing between the new plants i have put in on another section, thought of fabric ground cover but dont know how i go about killing off the weed and then putting ground cover down around the exsiting plants

dose anyone know how to kill of brambles without killing of flowers, the other thing is do i just cut around the plants with ground cover after i have got rid of weeds

sorry folks have lot of questions appreciate replys 

30/09/2012 at 16:51

Brambles are a pain in the neck. As they are growing between new plants, would you be able to dig them up even if you dig up and replant the plants? It's always best to start with the ground as weed free as possible. You could then put the fabric ground cover down, cutting it to fit around existing plants then cover it with shredded bark.

30/09/2012 at 16:55

Digging up is the best way. But if brambles are already growing among other plants, then you can kill them with weedkillers such as Roundup. Roundup is normally sprayed on. But if there are other plants quite close and you don't want the spray to affect them, then you can get a version of Roundup called Roundup Gel, which can be carefully applied to the individual leaves of the bramble.

If you have brambles with other plants, then don't try to smother them; they will just pop up somewhere else.

Roundup takes several weeks to work.

30/09/2012 at 17:00

The most efficient way of getting rid of stubborn weeds is by using a glyphosate based weed killer like Roundup-the problem at this time of the year is the weeds need to be actively growing for it to be effective

My suggestion would be to physically clear what you can now -do not put down the weed suppressant yet-wait till next spring when the weeds are growing again apply the weed killer then and wait for it to work-2/3 weeks

It will kill brambles but may take a few goes to be effective

All takes a time but worth it in the end

30/09/2012 at 17:04

Be very carefull using Roundup near roses (and raspberries). They hate it.

30/09/2012 at 17:56

thanks Busy Lizzie

and Sotongeoff

Thats great help, yes was thinking of using Round up for the tree stumps too

I havent really got anywhere to put the other plants that are really growing well, maybe wait a while as you have both said and use a fork as was suggested on Garden world,

they say a hoe or fork is better as shovel can cut top off but leave the root, so maybe get my Macintosh on over winter and just keep digging untill I can lay the ground cover, they did say once the root is out, if cover with mulch without the light getting it it should die thanks all

30/09/2012 at 17:59

Thanks Gary just saw your notice may the gel for the brambles and the tree trunks are a long way from the flowers so could use the Gel for brambles and the round up for tree stumps thanks every one. 

30/09/2012 at 18:30

Roundup will only be effective on growing greenery, so not at this time of year.  In what state are the tree stumps, and what size?  And what kind of tree?

If they are small digging out is the most effective remedy.  Or at the very least dig around the base of the tree and sever the main roots.  If they are very large get someone in with a stump-grinder. If you saw down a small tree, leave a good length of trunk so you can use it as a lever to break off the roots as you dig around. It will make the job much easier.

If you dig out the brambles - by far the best method - you will not get rid of them in one season. A hoe will be totally useless. You need a strong fork. They will spring again if you leave the largest roots.  The growth will be weak, but you must get rid of everything before you put down the weed-supressing fabric or you will get in an awful mess.  It is not the panacea you might imagine.

01/10/2012 at 15:35

The only way to deal with brambles is to don thick gloves and a pair of pruning shearers and pull the root all the way back to its source and if you can dig out but this unlikely so cut right at base ,you'll need to keep doing this until the plant gets the message not to grow,weeding is something you have to do all the time or it will take over and the seeds will do their worst.weed killers are not the answer as it will kill your plants and wildlife too.

01/10/2012 at 15:41
flowering rose wrote (see)

The only way to deal with brambles is to don thick gloves and a pair of pruning shearers and pull the root all the way back to its source and if you can dig out but this unlikely so cut right at base ,you'll need to keep doing this until the plant gets the message not to grow,weeding is something you have to do all the time or it will take over and the seeds will do their worst.weed killers are not the answer as it will kill your plants and wildlife too.

Sorry-weedkillers will not kill your plants is they are used correctly and in what way will they kill wildlife? -please explain.

01/10/2012 at 19:49

I love weedkiller for brambles.  The only trouble is the damn things have big thorns, alive or dead.

You really need to get rid of as much of the bramble roots as you can find, and even then they will pop up from the smallest bit of root.  It's a bit of a long haul if you're really overgrown with brambles (I'm fighting the bramble war, too).

03/10/2012 at 07:08
I've just started a bramble war too. I've cleared an area with lots of bramble and nettle by hand - just what I can pull up without digging the ground. I'm not wanting to dig as its a rough woodlandy area with lots of natural groundcover - mainly ivy, and I know if I leave a gap the dreaded ground elder will move in quickly. My plan it to spot treat regrowth with gel round up in the spring and then pull again in the autumn and keep going until the plants give in. And so on for the next however many years....
03/10/2012 at 08:44
Super noodle I think you should dig regardless of the fear of elder invasion. I have found bramble quite easy to clear. I hack it back with shears, push old mower over it and then dig. If it was during the growing season I would use glyphosate on new growth before digging. I have not had a problem with bramble regrowth after a thorough digging and cultivation and any new bramble growth has been easy to pull out. Done during the winter you will have a nice clean area for planting in the spring
03/10/2012 at 15:06

weedkillers if accidentally should come in contact with your flowers will kill them they have mine the same reason as they kill wildlife its a poison .

03/10/2012 at 15:12
flowering rose wrote (see)

weedkillers if accidentally should come in contact with your flowers will kill them they have mine the same reason as they kill wildlife its a poison .

I repeat not if they are used correctly and you have no evidence that they harm wildlife

Please stop posting mis-information like this unless you can substantiate such claims

03/10/2012 at 21:10

Can I just say that I have plenty of growing greenery in my garden, weeds & some beautiful flowers, and when I get the time and the weather holds off I plan to do a bit of painting of weedkiller on offending weeds and brambles before they stop growing in the Autumn. Obviously it does depend on where you live

03/10/2012 at 21:23
Christine, it sounds like from Christopher you should be digging.
I'm still not going to as my area is a the verge between the house and my road and has deciduous trees and isn't an area I intend to be pristine. Where I accidentally pulled up some ivy, the ground elder has already invaded, and I just can't risk yet another area being infested as my garden is being taken over by it.
Although, I might be back in a year or so's time saying I wish I'd just dug it up. If so, no smug face, please, Christopher...
03/10/2012 at 23:02
That's ok, super noodle, I understand your position. No smugness. I dont really know if I'm right or not. Just want you to have what,you want. I'm sure you will do just fine and wish you well
13/04/2014 at 18:06

"I repeat not if they are used correctly and you have no evidence that they harm wildlife

Please stop posting mis-information like this unless you can substantiate such claims."

Sotongeoff, you're seriously asking how herbicides are bad for the environment and kill wildlife?? And being rude to the lone person here that is savvy to the damage they do?

http://www.umanitoba.ca/outreach/naturalagriculture/weed/files/herbicide/less_harmful_e.htm

http://ipm.ncsu.edu/wildlife/cotton_wildlife.html

http://drfoxvet.com/library/info/roundup-harm-people

http://texnat.tamu.edu/library/publications/reducing-herbicide-risks-to-wildlife-on-rangeland/

http://science.jrank.org/pages/3305/Herbicides-Environmental-effects-herbicide-use.html

Get over yourself and go and re-educate yourself, ignoramus.

13/04/2014 at 18:10

Welcome to the forum little bird.

How about joining in a current discussion or starting your own. 

1 to 20 of 26 messages