London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 11°C
1 to 20 of 28 messages
09/08/2014 at 20:38

I have just inherited a plot of land that is completely overgrown with nettles and brambles, and the old breeze block shed on the site is covered in Ivy. I have read the articles on getting rid of the Ivy which have been very useful. Does any one out there know how how to get rid of half an acre of stinging nettles and brambles

09/08/2014 at 20:50

Hi Pushkin

Gallup Weedkiller, you will be able to purchase it on Ebay, and a sprayer as well

09/08/2014 at 20:56

Thanks, do I need to reduce the jungle prior to spraying or should I spray as it is now?

09/08/2014 at 20:59

I try to be organic but do think there is a place in some situations, when non organic methods are called for and clearing half an acre of brambles and nettles is one of those situations in my book. Half an acre sounds alot of land to dig over

There is a weedkiller which farmers use to clear fields but I'm sorry I don't know what it's called. It can be purchased in farm supply stores in small quantities. I don't think you'd find it at your local GC. It's apparently very effective and starts taking effect within days.   

I'm probably wrong but don't think it can be purchased for domestic use but if your plot is agricultural land that would be different.

Sorry, not very helpful, but I'm sure someone will be long shortly to give a better answer.    

09/08/2014 at 21:01

Looks like we posted at the same time Buddyboy

09/08/2014 at 21:08

Hi Zoomer, Its Gallup, It can be purchased on Ebay

Pushkin

No you dont need to reduce the jungle, but work backwards, spray it the way it is, because of the amount of foilage, you may have to spray any you have missed in a week to 2 weeks later

This will also kill Ivy

09/08/2014 at 21:21

Thanks for the advice now going to take a look at eBay I guess the product description will give me amounts to use etc so if I can get the rest of the prickles out of my fingers by the time it arrives I should be able to get to work

09/08/2014 at 21:26

Hi Pushkin

It is a bit difficult to decipher, but I will give you a off the label amount, 200ml of Gallup to 10 litres of water which is a bit stronger

10/08/2014 at 06:37

The first thing here is you've been given the wrong information ref clearing the site

of bramble type plants,

these are a harder wooded plant and if you resort to any chemicle you'll be waiting a long time for the chemicle to do its job and only then after more than one spraying,

Here is how ive removed one acre of overgrown land, the first thing is to remember nobody said gardening was not hard work,

remove as near to the ground as possible all the growth, even grass,

I say this because you'll find it very hard to just remove the harder wooded items alone such as bramble without moving the grass etc.

I used a good quality strimmer fitted with the bush cutter blade (it saws through bramble plants quick and you'll use less fuel than just the gut line on the strimmer,

Once you've got down to ground level you 'll need a centre safe space on the land to build a bon-fire and burn all the cuttings, (the pot ash will be rotovated back into the ground later)

Not only will you be amazed how big the now cleared of top growth gound looks but you'll be making fast progress,

Next job is to dig out all "and i do mean all" the rots of the harder wood ie bramble plants,

I did this via a good rotovator, once you've broken the ground and got your first root set out its a bit easier to continue along your way,

Burn all roots,

Now if you find this size (half acre ) is on the large size and time to do the work is limited then section off the plot in three sections and cover what you wont manage to get to with black pvc covering (you'll get rolls of this from anygood farm supply store,

By covering this stops light getting to the grass area etc and slows down growth,

you'll need to also cover the area's you've removed the roots from to stop grass/weeds etc from now taking advantage of their new open ground,

Any time you break ground open you'll release a few million seeds (more about chemicle use on this area & when to use chemicles later)

Once you've cleared the complete (half acre) of all roots !!!!!

You can now turn over all the ground ,

You can now think of doing just that "rotovate the complete area" and remove all the black pvc coverings,

The first time you rotate this virgin land will be hard going "But" the more times you turn the ground over the better the soil and the better it all looks. (A great feeling)

The grass etc will now start to grow and its now time to kill the grass roots with a good chemicle (glyphosate) is the best one to use you dont need any licence for small amounts ie 2ltr containers and this mixes really well,

By breaking the ground and removing "ALL" the rooted bramble plants you've let air into the ground /space & light nows the time to clear all the grass/weed roots ,

Time of the year can be used to help slow down the growing cycle of weeds etc

I'd say september on wards towards febuary is a good time, this gives the colder wearther time to really slow growing life up and yet the chemicle will still work in killing the main root supply and give you time to get the plans sorted as to we're you want this and that to grow/ fencing off area's shed possition etc etc etc

But if you cut corners and think its a five minute spray any chemicle here and there!!!!!!! you'll pay the price for as long as you grow anything on your "half acre"

The roots you didnt kill will return with a renewed strength thanks to the now extra space it has and light etc,

Fighting weeds is a continued task thanks to birds dropping them and the wind blowing them onto your your sight but this situation can be kept under control

with good sensible gardening and the will to garden,

My final word to help you want to do a good job is tw

10/08/2014 at 08:46

Not got half an acre let alone an acre like Smokin has but his post is exactly how I clear ground.  Cleared large areas on a friend's 6 acre plot.  It had brambles, ivy, nettles, bindweed, Coltsfoot , plus varieties of planted mint, comfrey etc  etc. (I actually removed large Leylandii,,sycamores and the like by hand ...where I got the strength  from I don't  know ....but the swearing, cursing and threats helped )

There is nothing like physically digging over land ...if you can.  Weedkillers are far more effective when the foliage is hacked back first.  

Yes, a regular bonfire on site and persistence.  I found a heavy duty lawn mower with blades set high very effective too.  Hacking back tall woody stuff first, raking back, adding to bon fire pile and usIng the mower.  Very, very satisfying to see the clearing ground 

So far an orchard, a veg plot, an ornamental garden, a greenhouse, pond, arches, seats, patio, shrubbery, etc have replaced the wilderness.  To come is the "quarry", an area that is huge, overgrown but totally sheltered from all winds.  Frost possibly a prob but I don't think so as the site overlooks St. Michael's Mount and the bay.  Exciting possibilities. 

10/08/2014 at 09:06

No wonder you need lots of donuts Verdun  

10/08/2014 at 09:19

10/08/2014 at 09:22

There you go Pushkin2 , two classic cases of Amateur gardeners at work

Pros havent time to fart around

10/08/2014 at 09:30

Pros don't have much time to faff around, that's true

Some of them don't even have time to think about what they're doing before they act.

10/08/2014 at 09:33

10/08/2014 at 09:39

Pushkin, I'd cut everything right back with a strimmer or whatever you have available that does a similar job, clear that away, and then apply heavy duty weedkiller when the new growth is around a couple of feet so that it takes it up thoroughly. Nettles aren't so bad to deal with, but trying to use it on huge amounts of  woody brambles will just mean using a lot more than necessary. Don't give yourself more work than you need to  - it'll be hard enough! What you do after that depends largely on what you intend using the area for. 

How very true nut - like the ones who decimated every shrub and tree on my sister's boundary.....

10/08/2014 at 09:43

Thanks every one you have all been most helpful. This is the first time I have ever used a computer for something like this, I went to school with a slide rule and a book of tables, it's amazing how we can share an interest and help each other. I will let you know how I get on.

once again thanks to all.

ps any further advice and ideas welcome

10/08/2014 at 09:47

Did you use a chalk on a piece of slate too Pushkin? That's a running joke in my family! 

I remember slide rules and tables - kids would laugh at that now ...

Good luck with your brambles - perhaps you could get the best of them and pick them first

10/08/2014 at 11:56

Smokin and Fairygirl have covered it.

13/08/2014 at 16:24

I have just come across this thread again and I see that another 2 are in agreeance with smokin donkeys advice

I am going to email Daniel Haynes personally to get this thread removed due to safety issues with the advice given by the above and concerning Pushkin2

First of all nobody has given Pushkin2 any advice on any safety gear he would have to wear while operating a Brush Cutter which can be extremely dangerous and volatile

Secondly the advice given was for Pushkin2 to go into an area approximately half an acre that has not been touched in years to operate a Brush Cutter, into foliage that will be probably be head height

In this area could be logs covered in foliage, rocks covered in moss, and iron railings or other metal objects hidden in ivy, this would be extremely dangerous if any of those was hit by a metal blade

As I have plenty of experience in this field and know the risks, I will ask Daniel Haynes to remove this thread due to health and safety reasons

I will bump this up periodically in the hope that Pushkin2 can see this and then I will email Daniel Haynes

1 to 20 of 28 messages