Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Brambly Apple Tree Problem

Help please, I planted a new Bramble Apple Tree September 2012 which had nice green leaves on. Since late Spring 2013 the new leaves being produced have brown edges and are curled and some die almost after budding. Also only one bit of blossom appeared. Any suggestions much appreciated!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Is this a Bramley apple?  Can you tell us a bit more about it please?  What sort of soil do you have, what sort of site is it in, how did you prepare the planting hole, how have you treated it since etc

Oh, and a photo would be very helpful.  Click on the little tree in the toolbar above where you type your message to upload a pic. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Tilly-cdTilly-cd Posts: 9

Hi Dovefromabove, I have put 2 photos on (not best really) shows site and tried to show leaves. Before planting did as garden expert suggested and dug large hole, put compost in bottom, planted depth it was in container. I have clay soil and originally was gravel up to tree stem and had a wooden surround to protect from my dog peeing up it, this since removed and gravel removed and added a tube in ground so water gets to roots (suggestion it might be dehydration). Have watered a lot over past 3 weeks and often and given general feed with Miracle grow, but as yet no noticeable difference. Hope this is helpful.

Oh forgot to say that this is a Bramly as I wanted a cooking apple not eating one.image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Tilly has the ground where your tree is been previously cultivated or has it always been a gravelled area? I only ask because the soil and drainage may not be great if there's been long term hard landscaping there. As Dove says - the more info you can give the better as it makes it easier  to offer advice image 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Sorry Tilly your last post wasn't there when I posted my query!

If you have clay soil and are now watering quite a bit - especially with the tube system - it may now be sitting in water image  If so you would need to improve the general drainage where it is by adding grit and a bit more compost to the mix in the hole and replant. Obviously you'd have to lift the tree out to take a look and see - sorry if I didn't make that very clear.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

Hi Fairygirl, Thanx for your help. I moved to present garden a year ago and garden was like a field so my hubby landscaped it and used gravel instead of lawn as we are pensioners and wanted it easy to look after.  Now, your suggestion to dig up and start afresh sounds reasonable to me so we can improve the soil. Would you suggest topsoil or compost and do I need to add manure or anything else? We had to do this at our last garden which was in this area as well and we grew potatoes well but did not grow fruit. Will replanting set back the growth at all? sorry to ask so much but I have never grown fruit before or trees.

Took some of leaves to my garden centre and told it is a fungus problem, probably caused by drought in early growin season. Adviced to remove all leaves, spray with a fungiside, water well and give a good feed. Have done all of this except had a lot of rain so not watered too often. Now it is a wait and see episode. Will report back on results.

Fairygirl wrote (see)

Sorry Tilly your last post wasn't there when I posted my query!

If you have clay soil and are now watering quite a bit - especially with the tube system - it may now be sitting in water image  If so you would need to improve the general drainage where it is by adding grit and a bit more compost to the mix in the hole and replant. Obviously you'd have to lift the tree out to take a look and see - sorry if I didn't make that very clear.

Oh forgot to say, Garden centre tree expert suggested not to dig tree up and then replant because may cause more damage, but to treat tree in its present situ as growing season is in full swing.  Will consider replanting in late Autumn and improvin soil area, that is if tree still alive!  Oh dear what a bother I have ended up with!image