Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Broad Beans

Broad Bean Problems.

I have a new garden this year built from scratch with new imported soil.

Everything seems to be doing well at the moment except my Broad beans, plenty of flowers but as a lot of the flowers are going off, no beans are forming.

Even the black aphids have not arrived in the tops.

Right next to them are peas which are going great,

Could it be old seed? Thanks for any help.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• kiwiflyerkiwiflyer Posts: 19

Yes thank you Dovefromabove, you suggested starting a new topic for this one, so I took your advice and moved it here.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

When the flowers first go off, it looks like no beans are coming, but in time they probably will. I think that every year and then they appear. 

Broad beans are the easiest to grow, any old seed wil do, mine was from a while back but they all germinated. 

See how they go. You could try putting in some chives round the edge, or sage, the bees like it and will then go on your beans.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139
    kiwiflyer wrote (see)

Yes thank you Dovefromabove, you suggested starting a new topic for this one, so I took your advice and moved it here.

Great Kiwiflyer image  Just wasn't sure if you'd seen it - sometimes new members mislay their posts image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• kiwiflyerkiwiflyer Posts: 19

Thanks Lyn,

I will wait a bit longer, I was just about to pull the Beans out and put them in my new compost bin, that will give me space to put my Sweet potato plants.

Just a quick note, I found that local councils help with subsidies on buying compost bins,

I will start a thread on that.

Thanks Dovefromabove, your help is much appreciated.