Start a new thread

1 to 10 of 10 replies

Jammy2

Hi there,

Planted purple sprouting broccili last year (I'm a novice). Attached picture shows it now. Presumably its about to flower. It never went purple. So two questions. Presumably I can dig it all out and pop on the compost heap. Any suggestions how to avoid this next year?

Many thanks,

James

Jammy2

Nope - nothing like that. I know the pigeons had a go and I had to net it - so maybe that was the problem

Dovefromabove

Hold on a minute !!!  I've just had a closer look at your picture - it looks more like Curly Kale to me 

Did you plant any Curly Kale?

Helcatt
Yeah, I agree - it does look like kale! Does Broccoli get that big?

Advertisement

Bookertoo

Hmm. do have to agree re kale, did you buy it as plants or grow it from seed I wonder?  Either way, if it is flowering it is done for food for us, but rabbits (pet ones) and other such like pets like it as food if you have any friends who keep them - guinea pigs are very fond of it. 

Dovefromabove

On a positive note - you've certainly grown it very well - which bodes well for next year - and you'll know what you're doing the second time around 

Jammy2

I grew them from plugs from the garden centre. Not impossible though that I mixed something up. Here is a better res picture to see if this helps with identification.

I've dug them all out now and added to the compost

Thanks for you help and comments

James

Jammy2

Wait - that is the exact same res - argh