London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
9 messages
07/08/2014 at 17:13
hi all. I have a pair of box topiary at my south facing exposed front door. they have been there since April but one of them is getting patchy brown leaves. the other is. I do sometimes forget to water for a few days but I have been doing it at least every other day. here is a link to one of them http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y386/paul_cunningham2/Mobile%20Uploads/output_zpsmytmpzra.jpg
07/08/2014 at 19:31

It doesn't look like box blight, so it's more of a case of neglect me thinks. I think it needs a feed and some minor pruning of the dried out bits. I'd leave it grow and put on some new growth before reshaping. A good drench once a week for a few weeks and feed should see a different plant in a few weeks.

07/08/2014 at 20:06

I agree with Dave it doesn't look like blight it seems to be the whole leaf turning brown whereas blight would make brown blotches on the leaves. Give it a bit of an everyday fertiliser (Growmore perhaps) and a good soak and it should be back to normal in no time.

07/08/2014 at 21:34

One of mine has done the same. I upped the water and feed...but it did not work. I took it out the pot and a lot of root has rotted. Instead of being dry the water was not draining as the crock covering the pot had acted like a plug.

So it is worth taking it out the pot and checking the roots.

07/08/2014 at 22:45
07/08/2014 at 22:46
thanks for the advice guys. think it's likely under watering as it's on South side of house and when I do water the water seep out almost immediately. should I cut the branches the brown leaves are on or just the leaves
08/08/2014 at 09:17

If the water is seeping out almost straight away I'd plunge the plant into a bucket of water first and leave till bubbles stop rising. having looked at your picture again, I think I'd leave removing anything till the new growth appears, the dead leaves will fall naturally anyway.

08/08/2014 at 09:21

If it is under watering, which relooking at the pic is likely, then the leaves will regreen over time, so do not cut off.

08/08/2014 at 12:31
thanks again!
email image
9 messages