London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
10 messages
14/04/2012 at 13:59

Can anyone give me some tips on growing sprouts please. I have tried to grow them but the plants do not get very big and when the sprouts do appear they seem to explode.

14/04/2012 at 14:06

Thats called bolting ... but I thought it usually happened when the sprouts were old !

I know that when they are planted they like the ground to be very firm ... I usually plant the sprouts when they're about 3 inches high and firm the ground round them down with me feet.

Another idea is that they could be diseased .. clubroot ? (Not sure of the symptoms though)

How long were they in the ground ?

Chris

14/04/2012 at 14:12

I tried to grow them last year, Like you I planted them out when they were approx 3ins high. I did not leave them to grow "old" as I love them, could you recommend a good variety. I want to try again and hopefully have them for xmas.

Sue

14/04/2012 at 14:21

I grow 'Petrus' from Unwins .... they're expensive but are worth it.    They don't grow too tall and the sprouts are also quite firm and small.  The flavour though is exquiste ... I grew mine last year for Christmas and am growing some this year as well.

I've just planted 3 of them into the ground and have put a copper ring (to protect from slugs) and some fleece to protect them from the cold.

Any more problems just shout.

Chris

14/04/2012 at 14:31

Sue,

The important thing is that the soil must be firmed up after you've planted them.

The frost also makes them sweeter ... tahts why we leave them to get 'old' !

Chris

29/04/2012 at 14:23

hi im growing seedling in pots and using warm water to bring them on cold water shocks them and the die

29/04/2012 at 14:46
samantha olivant wrote (see)

hi im growing seedling in pots and using warm water to bring them on cold water shocks them and the die

Sorry-no-that is a bit of exaggeration -you will not kill them by watering with cold water.

29/04/2012 at 15:36

Hi Sue,

What sort of soil do you have?  Sprouts (and brassicas in general) seem to prefer heavy soils in my experience and, as others have said, it is important to firm the soil around them when planting out.  Light sandy soils tend to dry out too quickly and this is what leads to bolting.

I've tried several varieties over the years but get best results from 'Trafalger' on my clay soil.

29/04/2012 at 18:09

brussel sprouts like all brassicas like alkaline soil conditions try mixing hydrated lime with water and adding to the plants evey couple of weeks also they hate it if they are blown about by wind if necessary stake each plant using a garden cane.The blowing of the sprout is due to sporadic watering try to maintain a damp not wet soil

05/10/2012 at 00:34

hi, i just harvested my first brussel sprouts.  they looked wonderful but as i cleaned them i found what looks like granular dirt between the leaves.  i am sure it is some kind pest though.  what is it and what can i do about it?  i grow an organic garden so pesticide is out.

jean neal

email image
10 messages