London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 19°C
13 messages
11/10/2012 at 20:24

hi everyone, i have taken cuttings of my buddjlea buzz, i have them on my window sill in the kitchen, what i need to know is, do i need to water them, and also, do i need to keep them indoors,

11/10/2012 at 21:02
Yes keep indoors. Dont let dry out. Not grown buddleia buzz. Long floweriing?
11/10/2012 at 21:11

hi christopher, thanks for advise,yes they are long flowering, and i had butterflies i have never had before, i got them from TM they are supposed to be small enough for large pots, but i think they will be better in the garden so i will move them next spring, the cuttings are for my family, thanks again

12/10/2012 at 00:23
Lynne24 thanks for info. I think your buddleia buzz will be much bigger in the ground. Will look out for one.
12/10/2012 at 05:54

Don't wish to disagree , but I wouldn't keep buddliea cuttings indoors -  I think that outside in a sheltered spot or a coldframe would be better.  Keeping them indoors they'll put on lots of soft etiolated growth which will suffer when they are planted out. 

12/10/2012 at 08:37
Normally I would put buddleia cuttings outside but I get the impression they are very small and not hardwood cuttings. I bought very small plant from supermarket last autumn and kept in greenhouse over winter. It has grown well and produced several flowers. So, anything small is protected
12/10/2012 at 09:02

I haven't taken any cuttings of my Buddleja buzz but I would treat them as any other Buddleja and take hardwood cuttings and place them outside.  I normally just place the cuttings around the side of a container that already has a plant growing. Leave alone until Spring when the cuttings should have taken.  I have three Buddleja buzz that are still in flower and the perfect size for a small garden, they have been so successful at attracting butterflies and other insects.  In fact I will go outside right now and take some cuttings and will look forward to seeing how they get on, next Spring

12/10/2012 at 12:11

Bit of a difference of opinion here so will just throw my hat into the ring-gardening is not an exact science after all

If they are well rooted then a cold greenhouse or cold frame is a preferred option to keeping them in the warm indoors

12/10/2012 at 12:40
I must qualify. By indoors I mean greenhouse etc....agree with sotongeoff. It's very mild here but small seedlings will have a lot to contend with over winter outdoors. But, we all have our trusted ways of doing things and "green fingers" helps. Some people can pull off a piece of plant, stick it in the ground and root it without any apparent "skill" or knowledge!
12/10/2012 at 13:08
Christopher2 wrote (see)
Some people can pull off a piece of plant, stick it in the ground and root it without any apparent "skill" or knowledge!

Which is how a lot of buddleja cuttings are treated and with success  

12/10/2012 at 16:15

hi gracie, hope i have took the cutting right, i have cut just below the leaf node, they are about 6inchs long, and ihave left a few new leaves on them, i also put them on the side of the pot, does that sound right?

12/10/2012 at 16:43

Yes, Lynne that should be ok. Just leave them outside and forget about them until Spring when they should start to show new leaves which means they have rooted.

12/10/2012 at 17:21

thanks gracie

email image
13 messages