Start a new thread

1 to 9 of 9 replies

I have a young yellow buddlea which I moved in order to give ti plenty of room.  However, its lower leaves have turned yellow.  I don't want to lose it - any advice please?

nutcutlet

Id cut it back if you haven't already. There'll be less top for the roots to support. Is this a recent move?

Depends how big it is really. You say young so presumably it's not that big. It may have objected to being moved which is fairly common or the soil isn't right. Buds prefers a well drained soil in full sun which can be fairly poor. So have you put it in the wrong place. Trimming back after moving helps any shrub to put down roots. Is it too wet? I'd have a look at where you moved it to first, then if it needs moving again cut it back by half.

summerwine

You could take a cutting to be on the safe side - I did this a couple of years ago with mine, yellow also, it's lovely this year.

One of the few success stories in my garden cos it's being munched to death by all sorts this year!

punkdoc

As Nut says, if moved recently, remove about one third of growth, this will mean roots don't need to work so hard. It should be fine next year.

Advertisement

anyone know what this plant is.  i have just discovered it in a dark corner of the garden

Don, it's the seed head of the arum lily.

nutcutlet

It's either Arum maculatum if it's got green leaves with or without black spots. That's Lords and Ladies, Jack in the Pulpit, for 2 common names.

Or if it's got rather nice variegated leaves it's Arum italicum .

My guess is the former if you didn't put it there.

What I call Arum lily is Zantedeschia which these are not. 

But with common names anything might be true

Liriodendron

If it has no leaves at all it's likely to be the common wild Lords & Ladies I reckon - also known as wild arum.  (Yes, it's a minefield, Nut!)  I have one growing under my hedge.  Very pretty but berries are quite poisonous.