Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Buddleia pruning?

I've just read the gardening page of a freebie magasine that came through the door. It said that now is the time to prune buddleias. I've always done mine in the early spring. But I also keep deadheading it the whole of it's flowering time. Am I doing wrong or is there 2 trains of thought going on here?

• Paul NPaul N Posts: 303

No. Keep doing what you are doing. That's the way I've always done it.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

I have done it now-but as Paul pointed out here and elsewhere- it is what works for you-so yes- two trains

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I've done both and haven't noticed any difference in growth or flowering

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

Not sure what will happen to mine next year . image I'd neglected it and it grew into a small tree so this year it was sawn down to a stump . I think they are pretty indestructable really. 

• I chop them back this time of year to prevent windrock, then prune properly in the spring (thinning out, removing weak and crossing stems etc).  As Jean says, they're pretty indestructible. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• AliPAliP Posts: 64

Yeah I'd agree with Dovefromabove, pruning this time of year is sometimes suggested, say reducing the bush by about half because of the chance of windrock, then finish off in spring.  Like everyone has said they're pretty indestructible and remember they can grow out of mortar joints 20ft up a house so I don't think you can go too far wrong!  www.alisonpike.com/blog/

• Thanks all of you. I'll carry on doing what I've always done.