Start a new thread

1 to 6 of 6 replies

rubber

I bought 3 of these as little plants 3 years ago and planted them in pots. Year 2 they grew to about 2ft and were a delight to look at and also covered with butterflies. I pruned them as instructed and put them in a spare garden bed for the winter. In the spring I put 2 of them back in their pots and they have just started flowering but they are much bigger and a bit bare at the bottom. The one left in the garden has grown into a massive bush. When described as miniature bushes only hold true  when contained in a pot?

Dovefromabove

This isn't the first time I've heard of Buzz getting bigger, whether in a pot or in the open ground.  

What have other people found ............?

SwissSue

Mine are about 4' tall and very bushy. I don't think they will get any bigger and are about the size it said on the label. The normal ones I used to have grew to about 8' or more. Obviously when grown in a pot this will restrict their roots and keep them smaller.

I have just one buzz...ivory.  Planted last autumn.  Already about 4' tall and about to flower.  Have no definite idea what it will be like ultimately but I grow it as a shrub that will be marginally smaller (to half size)  than the usual buddleia varieties.  

However, I will prune hard back in autumn and expect a bigger bush next year but still smaller and mkre compact than usual varieties

I grow buzz in poor soil but I understand it needs more nutrients than normal but I will not add feed unless it's clear that it needs it.

. Don't  think it will be a suitable pot plant, where it will need a lot of feeding, and should be in the ground.

Fleurisa

I think they are supposed to grow up to 4' in a year so if you only pruned them back to 2' you would end up with a plant 6' tall

Advertisement

rubber

Thanks for your replies. Just wondered if I could propogate them as a way of starting again. If so how do you take cuttings and how long before I have my new miniature bushes back?