Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bug repellent?

Hi all

We have a large pine tree in our garden and my husband has cleared the lower branches so that we could reclaim some space back. 

We were hoping to put a bench under it but are worried about bugs. My first thought was citronella candles but then realised that I can't have a naked flame under a tree! image

What else can I do to try and deter bugs? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

What sort of bugs?  Does your tree have some sort of infestation? 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• No - it just seems to attract a lot of mosquitoes and gnats!image 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

That's just 'the great outdoors' - make sure there's no buckets or other containers with standing water in them where they can breed, and yes -  citronella candles are fine - put them in empty jamjars and just keep an eye on them. 

If you are one of those unfortunate people who gets bitten, try using Avon's Skin So Soft (you can buy it online) - it's used by the British Army to keep the soldiers free from mozzie bites - and it doesn't smell like a mosquito deterrent. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Mosquitoes loves me..I've resorted to using jungle jel cream and spray. Works for me. When I'm in the greenhouse I use citronella incense sticks. I like the smell and the mosquitoes don't.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995

Or you could just plant some citronella (or another scented leaf geranium) near by, and crush a leaf or two each time you go for a sit down.  I really like the smell myself.  

Utah, USA.