Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Butchered my honeysuckle

Hi, I have a honeysuckle growing up a trellis between myself and some very nosey neighbours. The only foliage was on top and it had so much dead wood underneath I decided to cut it back. I left about two feet of the original stem but now I'm left with a bare trellis and what looks like a dead honeysuckle.......will I get it back or should I give up and plant something new? 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

When did you cut it?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

normally tough as old boots. Give it a good mulch of well rotted compost or well rotted manure . I'd say it should be fine.

Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

you could plant some sweet peas to give a bit of a fix for this season whilst the honeysuckle regrows??

Devon.
  • Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

I did the same to mine a few weeks back, as suggested here, I gave it a good mulch, lots of water and its growing really well. Dont give up. image

• It's not dead.  I tried to kill mine last year but it grew back.  May take a while, but it will be back.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Runner beans or climbing french ones will look good on the trellis this year and give you a crop too.

• My neighbour cut mine last year when trimming the hedge - I had no more than two inches left  by the time he was finished! I was sure it would die (from shock if nothing else!), but it's back again this year and it's very healthy, so hopefully if you give yours a wee bit time it will come back too image

• wopattackwopattack Posts: 2
    Thanks all. Some encouraging replies and great ideas for coverage. Love the idea of the sweet peas.will give it a good layer of manure too. Wi keep you posted on progress!

Thanks again!
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

As others have said- they're pretty tough. Sometimes it can be the best thing for an established shrub to get a good haircut - gives them a new lease of life. A bit like us, as long as it's fed and watered it will be fine image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

it'll put about three feet of growth on this year now its been 'trimmed' its really difficult to kill an established honeysuckle!