London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
10 messages
28/04/2014 at 14:56

Bit worried about 2 plants in my Garden although I probably shouldnt be as they are still growing fine

The 1st is my Camellia which is dropping some of its leaves, it flowered fine though

The 2nd is my Honeysuckle which seems to have tiny specks on the leaves of the whole vine.

Anything I should worry about?

Pics below

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/44013.jpg?width=264&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/44015.jpg?width=264&height=350&mode=max

28/04/2014 at 16:29

I think I'd be tempted to prune the camellia down to some new buds and give it a serious feed and mulch to encourage new growth, it looks a little lanky. Pruning now is fine and a feed will do it good.

As for the honeysuckle, they are hardy things but it looks like powdery mildew. I'd prune out any affected stems and mulch and keep it well watered. Prune back to some healthy growth, a light feed will help.

28/04/2014 at 16:49

The Camellia was only planted last Autumn and isnt very big, as you can see some of the leaves are black and there are a few buds coming from the stems.

Pruning isnt going to help the matter and it has been well mulched and fed.

The Honeysuckle suffered from this same problem last year and the leaves just turned brown and fell off, it isnt Powdery Mildew thats for sure.

Possibly some other fungal infection?

Thanks for the reply though.

Anyone else have any experience of these problems?

29/04/2014 at 07:53

I presume that your garden soil is acidic?

29/04/2014 at 08:10

Yes its acidic and I also incorporated Ericacous Compost to help it along, it has also had a liquid feed this Spring. Could it be the winter wet that has caused the leaf drop?

I'm also thinking the Honeysuckle has black spot, I'll try a weak fungicide to see if that helps, I dont want black and yellow honeysuckle leaves everywhere again this year 

29/04/2014 at 08:18

It looks a little cramped in there Matt.  A bit overwhelmed by other plants.  I would put into a container of ericaceous compost for a year or so.  It will grow much more quickly and then you can plant it out as a bigger specimen. 

Many plants are not looking pristine right now ......continuing good weather will make a difference......after the winter so I wouldn't do anything (apart from potting the camelia.) for a while yet.  

I grow a few Camelias.......maybe half a dozen.....and always they spend a season or two in pots.  I recently moved a 4' specimen from its container to a spot in the garden, for example, and for me it's the best way to bring on Camelias. 

29/04/2014 at 09:01

Funny thing is that those plants you see around it are only recent additions, within the last few weeks.

There is a Flamingo Salix Standard planted in the centre of that bed though.

The only place I can keep it in a container gets a minimum of around 5 hours sunlight between now and autumn, much more in high summer. Would it be ok in a container there if I keep it well watered?

The reason I chose where it is was because it has good natural light but not blazing direct sun.

03/06/2014 at 22:38

Both these plants have come on well. I left the Camellia alone and it has put on plenty of healthy new growth.

The Honeysuckle has grown tremendously but some of the older leaves seem to be turning black and yellow quite quickly due the black spot I think it has.

This doesnt seem to affect flowering though as its covered in flower buds at the moment

04/06/2014 at 12:19

For the Honeysuckle it sounds like the beginning of powdery mildew, I'd water the roots well and mulch with some compost or FYM.

04/06/2014 at 23:02

It has done this for a few years now Dave and I never see any sign of mildew.

It is planted in Clay soil is well mulched and gets plenty of water.

Its always the new growth that gets affected then you dont tend to notice it during the growing season, apart from the odd few leaves that drop off.

Ive seen mildew in my garden and its certainly not mildew.

email image
10 messages