Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Camellia buds not opening

I planted a flowering camellia last March and ensured it was well watered through August - September.  I fed it with ericaceous mulch in autumn and spring, and have had lots of healthy buds on it since February, but as yet not one looks like opening. 

I think it's past it now - does anyone know why this might have happened.  I was planning on moving the plant after flowering but am nervous now....

• goldfinch2goldfinch2 Posts: 39

Hi Im just guessing, as the weather has been so cold, it is taking its time.

mine are finally starting to flower, and they are a lot later than in previous years.

• lindsay2610lindsay2610 Posts: 100

Thanks Goldfinch, guess I'll wait a bit longer before I move it then.  Getting impatient as I really need to get my raspberries into its spot :0)

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I've moved lots of things at the 'wrong' time too without a problem. As Verd says it's about getting the hole it's going in prepared well before you move it. I have an established rhodie here which is covered in buds and only one is just starting to open - the long cold spell is holding so much back unfortunately.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • lindsay2610lindsay2610 Posts: 100

Great, thanks!