Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Campanula Dying Back

Hi all,

I have a pretty little campanula which I bought around a year ago and have in a pot. I think it's a portenschlagiana, but I'm not completely sure. It is very compact with a creeping habit. It grew steadily over the last year or so, and is now tumbling out of its pot.

It flowered prolifically from around April right through to January, and has been "resting" for a couple of months now. There is a whole flush of new flowers just now starting to open. But, parts of the plant have started to die back, and some of the flower buds have started to shrivel and go brown. I do remember that something similar happened last year and it bounced back.

I water it quite a lot, but haven't fed it since August. I reckon it's pretty pot bound by now. I'd be grateful if anyone had any ideas. Could it be overwatering? Underfeeding? Crowding? 

Thank you!

Owen.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Tip it out of its pot and check for vine weevil, Owen.  Overwatering could certainly be the problem, too.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • ommthreeommthree Posts: 314

Thanks Bob. I'll give that a go at the weekend. 

Seems that that was a storm in a teacup. She's flowering beautifully again now. I think I just need to remember not to start my "summer watering" regime until it's quite warm.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Would it not be better in the ground now? It could be a bit starved.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Well, I don't have that option unfortunately, not if I want to see it!