Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Can anyone help identifying this spider?

I seem to be overrun with them in the garden, not that I mind as I like spiders and know they are useful little beasts. However, I am intrigued to know what type they are as I seem to have hundreds.

Many thanks image

• I think it's a buzzing spider.

See the link below

http://www.uksafari.com/buzzingspiders.htm

• Oww they do look a bit similar and the large numbers is definitely accurate. However, the buzzing spider seem to have little spikes on their legs which mine don't.

• Spotted wolf from the same website perhaps?

Ive never looked up close but they look like the things I have living under the pebbles near my pond. They like to sit in the sun and dart aboutimage

Wearside, England.
  • Oww that looks right, and they do love to sit in the sun and dart about. I mostly see them in my plum slate, so it seems they like stones and pebbley areas. image

• Earlier in the year, did the females have egg parcels attached to their underside? image
  • No idea, i've only just started doing up my garden. image

• Just wondered because ive got a path full of spiders too, it looks like a similar sort of spot, i dont have much of a problem with pestsimage

Well done for getting a pic image
  • I must say I almost had a heart attack when taking a picture, they look huge when you zoom in image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

They look a bit wolf-spidery....  this site is American but seems useful.  If there are loads now they'll provide food to keep some of the birds going over the winter....

• There are hundreds of the things Steve, if the birds come it'll be like an all you can eat. image