Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Can anyone help identity this plant?

Hi Moved into my house 3 years ago and every year a few of these guys have come up but have never flowered. I was hoping to see what flower came up to either identify it myself or post here and pick someone's brains but for the third year alas no flower. So can anyone help tell me what it might be jut by looking at the floiage? There is about five of them so if they are something nice I will maybe move them somewhere that will help them flower. Could just be they are in the wrong soil or something. Also the ground there would be fairly moist. Not saturated but wet enough. Thanks a mill

• Apologies on my phone here and can't seem to ind the upload picture option. Might have to log in on my laptop later

• When were the pictures taken, Dingo?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Sternbergias are looking like that right now and have a reputation for not flowering unless things are just right. I had one flower last year and none this.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Took the pictures this morning joe. Hmm never heard of sternbergias nut

Yellow, flower in autumn, with no leaves look a bit like a crocus, leaves appear over winter, die back in summer. LIke a warmer drier climate than ours.

Sternbergia lutea if you want to google it

Lovely when they flower.I've had them for about 20 years. The leaves have increase and I've had the WOW! moment twice in that time.

But they might not be sternbergias so don't chuck them out yet

• I'm tempted to take them up and pot them and see how I get on. Obviously not in the right spot to prosper where they are at the mo!

When would you recommended doing that?

Nothing to lose. In well drained compost in a sunny spot you might at least find out what they are

• Hi, I think this might be an Iris foetidissima, this has evergreen leaves similar to your picture, tiny insignificant iris flowers, followed by large orange/red berries.  Ours has been in the garden for several years and only flowered for the first time this year.

Hope this helps.

soon tell, break a leaf, the iris stinks. Or dig one up. Sternbergia is a bulb, Iris foetidissima just a root.

I think we have a bulb here.