Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Can anyone tell me what these are please?

Hi

I received my new allotment this week and am very new to veg growing.

The allotment already has some things growing in among the weeds, like rhubarb and blackcurrant, but there are a few things I'm not sure of.

The first one is the small plant above. The second is the tall one, I have a feeling this one is definitely there on purpose as it looks like it is on other plots supported by canes.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

the top one is Euphorbia lathyris, caper spurge

Could we see a bit more of the other one, the leaves maybe and a view of the whole plant.

At first sight it doesn't look like something you would support with canes on an alotment

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • The second one looks like some thing that has gone to seed - perhaps spinach?

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

The best thing to do is introduce yourself to other allotment owners.  Ask advice and see what they have and what they do.  As long as you don't take up all their time I'm sure many would be pleased to give you tips.  It may be daunting but you will be seeing the same people for many years. Gardeners are usually very helpful with advice - but always worth a check on here or googleimage

• Pol2012Pol2012 Posts: 3

Thanks. This is the only other photo I have of that plant. I think it's definitely gone to seed  but the plot next to mine has the same think in a cane frame. Hopefully I'll bump into them soon do I can ask.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

That's spinach or chard or something like that.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Pol2012Pol2012 Posts: 3

Thanks nutcutlet.

• AllotmentMaxAllotmentMax Posts: 189

Looks like spinach, gone to seed.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I think I'm going with nutcutlest's suggestion of Swiss Chard.

Devon.