London (change)
Today 17°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
7 messages
01/06/2012 at 17:10

Hi, I would be grateful if anyone can tell me what this is?  There are loads of tiny black bugs that have totally taken over the honeysuckle tree in our garden - it is co

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/8267.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

vered.  What can I do to get rid of it?

Thanks for any help 

01/06/2012 at 17:18
Well, mixed news. The little black bugs look like blackfly. The bigger critters are ladybird larvae which are eating them. The difficult bit is that the larvae are harlequin ladybird larvae, which seem to be threatening our native population. You can get rid of the blackfly with organic or chemical sprays, - google blackfly for remedies - or leave the larvae to carry on cleaning them up. In which case there will be more harlequin ladybirds. There will be other postings I'm sure.
01/06/2012 at 17:19

You have got one hell of a collection there-ants farming the aphids,ladybird larvae eating the aphids and some green thing joining in as well.

Obviously you don't want to destroy the friends-I would be inclined to use a jet of water to get rid of the worst of the infestation or pick off and dispose of the worst of the leaves-providing that is not too many.

Then keep a watchful eye and spray at the first sign of a reinfestation with an insecticide

01/06/2012 at 17:21
Geoff I think the green thing might be another ladybird egg just about to hatch.
01/06/2012 at 17:25

A bit of a bug party going on then!

So a blast of water should sort out the worst of the blackfly?

01/06/2012 at 17:30

Try it is is very satisfying-it won't kill them but it will annoy them-it is a matter of taking control-the ladybirds will do their bit but there may be too many even for them.

As I say pick of the worst of the leaves,then look at spraying.

01/06/2012 at 17:32

Brilliant, will give it a go.  Thank you!

email image
7 messages