Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

can I BARE ROOT MY ROSES

We are planning to retire next year. As we will probably move house I have several roses at the moment, some are of great sentimental value to me. I plan to select and lift them in the spring and was going to pot them

ICan I lift them, bareroot and pack them to take with me instead? if it can be done, how long can they be out of the ground?

silversurfing rose lover

• Hi, Josie...welcome to the forum.

The fact you suggest potting-up these roses leads me to think they are not large, old bushes, which is good.

You can do this, but it will have to be done when the bushes are totally dormant, say Dec/Jan.

Large established bushes will represent a bigger a  problem.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

And remember to mention to the prospective buyers that  (if the roses are still in the ground when they view or agree to buy) they are not included in the sale. Potted plants are o.k.

• wrighttwrightt Posts: 234

In addition you might want to take cuttings to propagate them as well, just in case. See the section 'How to take rose cuttings' on this Gardeners World web site.

• josiekwjosiekw Posts: 3

thanks for the info. the idea of potting was so I could move the roses before the house goes on the market. the reason I asked about lifting and bare root transiting some was I have some plants like Happy child which was brought for my granddaughter 16 years ago and Shropshire Lad which was for my grandson 12 years ago and one or two other that were brought for special occasions. we don't have a large garden so I do prune them back well every autumn but hadn't considered the rooting network - below ground!!!

• josiekwjosiekw Posts: 3

I will have a look into taking cuttings!! 

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

We transplanted some 50 year old roses from my Uncle's garden down to my parents place(more years ago than I care to think about). The rootstock on them was huge and we had to remove almost all the fibrous roots when we did it. They survived and grew.  It was done when they were dormant I hasten to add, so it can be done, even with old well established plants.

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

my mother who use to move all the time and take her roses with her ,made sure she watered them well when they found their new home.