3 messages
10/07/2013 at 10:27

Hello ,

I've just learnt that a Ginko tree survived Hiroshima so can represent @Survival/Hope to come'. Having one in the garden would help me through a very bad time.  Can I prune it to keep it a manageable size or will it grow in a pot? The latter sounds like hard work and not very rewarding! 

Any ideas please?

Many thanks,

Haras

10/07/2013 at 12:06

Please don't try to grow it in a pot.  Plant it in the soil or if you haven't enough room, buy one for  the council for a park or give one to a friend who will appreciate it.  They grow slowly, but they do eventually reach 100ft.

They are very rewarding and attractive, but don't stunt a tree to help you through a bad time!

10/07/2013 at 13:33

There are varieties of Ginkgo biloba that stay much smaller and can be grown in a pot. Usually these are grafted trees. They can be pruned during winter or in July and August. The latter will give the tree the chance to heal the wounds during it's growing season. Found this: http://www.bigplantnursery.co.uk/ginkgos.html

I do love the idea of buying a tree for the council. That way lots of people get to enjoy this beautiful ancient species.

email image
3 messages