Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Can I save them?

After 4 years of neglect due to circumstances beyond my control I am back in the garden this year!!!  Consequently I've got a bay tree that looks very distressed.  Can anyone advise on whether I can save it and if so, how?

I also have a lovely auricula which is somehow still alive.  If anyone has any ideas on how to save this I'd be really grateful:

PS - can anyone tell me how to upload pics from my computer the right way up image

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

First thing you need to do with that bay is, knock it out it's pot. Check the roots are intact and check for vine weevil grubs - if everything is ok. Re-pot into a bigger pot with good quality fresh compost and feed after 6 - 8 weeks. Bays are very tough and can spring back to life. 

• Thanks marshmello.  I will do that tomorrow.  Do I need to cut it back at all?

• JcblueJcblue Posts: 42

I agree with marshmello about the bay, all I can add it cut all the tops back to the green at the bottom, bay's are really tough image

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

If it's dead, yes.

• Well I know it's been a few weeks but thanks for the advice; I finally got round to repotting today, here's the bay now:

I took it out of the pot, cleared all the weeds and most of the old compost (I think there may have been a grub of some sort nestling at the bottom of the compost but it will have been binned with the rest of the unwanted stuff), and then repotted it in John Innes no2 and some grit.  It's a bigger pot as the roots were intact and obviously needed more room.  I hope it survives and I'll update this thread if I get new growth.