Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Can I save this tree?

Hi everyone,

So we have this gorgeous tree at home. It's so lovely that last year when we got married we had some fab photo's taken under this tree.

During the bad weather recently I am gutted to say some of it has fallen off. This is where I need your help!

Can anyone identify what type of tree this is? Do we need to chop it all down or will it come back to life? I know it looks lopsided but I will be sad if it has to go? It is perfectly heatlhy.

Thanks in advance for your help

Hannah

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for that one. Water will sit in the broken area and rot the trunk. A new branch won't grow from there. You can keep it while it still gives you pleasure or get rid of it now and plant a new tree. 

A cedar of some sort I think.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Hannah, I blew the picture up trying to make out what it is, the nearest I can come up with is Cedrus atlantica Blue Atlas Cedar a silvery blue foliage that is really bright in spring and will have cones in Autumn. that is a guess. The bad news is on the blown up picture the damage looks bad and the other side branch could also come down in a high wind. It is a ragged tear which could allow water to lay  and slowly rot the wound.

It could be sawn off on a slope at the wound taking the other side branch off then allowed to grow on or pollade  over a good period of time the lower branches will grow up. It is really up to you whether the tree is worth saving as it will look odd for a year or so, but nature can recover, it just takes time.

Frank.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

Cedar is a conifer which means it isn't going to sprout new branches from brown wood and so yours is never going to balance itself with new growth and will always look odd.

Cedars can live for centuries and grow really huge and majestic so I would think yours has some sort of problem that allowed such a young specimen to be so badly damaged as recent storms haven't been exceptional in their strength.    

Bite the bullet, get rid and plant something else in its place but make sure you get the ground preparation right to give it the best start possible.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,028

I agree that it's Cedrus atlantica. Such a shame, but I think it needs replacing.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

Cedrus Atlantica Glauca, or , to paraphrase Monty Python, it's an Ex cedar.

Devon.

It'll live, but it'll never be a beauty again I'm afraid. If it were mine, I'd have it out.

Devon.
  • Hostafan1 wrote (see)

Cedrus Atlantica Glauca, or , to paraphrase Monty Python, it's an Ex cedar.

Ah, a "Norwegian Blue" then! image

Unfortunately, Hannah, I agree with the others and would replace it.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Ok thank you all so much for your help! I think you're all right and I should bite the bullet and replace it.

Thank you for all suggesting what you think it is. I will look into planting the same tree and hopefully in a few years time it will look like it used to.

Palaisglide you were spot on with the silver blue foliage in the spring and cones in the Summer.

Thank you all image

Hannah, that's what we're here for. 

Devon.