London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 11°C
9 messages
13/07/2014 at 08:59
How do i stop cats going on my flower beds
13/07/2014 at 09:03

a long and ongoing debate....many opinions and ideas, i've bought a water pistol and chase  them off when i see them, good luck!

13/07/2014 at 09:29

If they're your cats, provide them with a sheltered and dry litter tray outside.  If they're not yours use a water pistol or a Water Scarecrow.

13/07/2014 at 10:10

Hi Andy

With difficulty, ive tried puting plastic spikes on top of the fence, they still go on it, Ive put mesh underneath my privet they still find a way through, I put pea netting ontop of bare ground they found a way under,I bought one of those electronic cat scarers, there I was running around pressing the button scaring them away thinking everytime they seen me they would run, worked for about 2 days,   I  put the cat scarer near my bird table to keep them away i went out one day and there was the cat sitting next to the cat scarer as if it was its best pal, I resorted to the water pistol but they started comeing in during the night

13/07/2014 at 12:02

I use Pyracantha twigs and the thinner branches cut randomly from my large hedge.

Strip the leaves off leaving bare twigs with very vicious thorns, scatter around your borders, cats will not go near them. The cats used to destroy my flower borders and veg patches despite all my humane efforts to deter them. I have several cats of my own, they don't like them either!

This method has worked for years, you might have to look for a Pyracantha plant!

Elliepat

13/07/2014 at 12:14

I owe this tip to my nephew's girlfriend who tried it to keep cats off her veg beds and it works. I place them in any areas of bare soil, with the spiky end upwards and the cats can't squat. Holly leaves are a good deterrent as well. Nothing seems to work with foxes though as they 'go' wherever they please. Gardening is a constant battle against various intruders but I do enjoy it even so. Though I do wonder how the likes of Monty Don manage - or do the intruders not dare to dig in his beautifully prepared beds?

13/07/2014 at 12:20

Nigel sees them off 

13/07/2014 at 12:37

Monty has a cat as well as Nigel.

13/07/2014 at 14:03

My Nigel and Nigella see them off in my garden too, never a problem with cats and even the magpies aren't bothering the little birds any more (I've been training them to chase off seagulls,magpies and pigeons but the never go near the smaller birds )

email image
9 messages