London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
7 messages
22/10/2013 at 11:58

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone could advise on the best way to dter cats off shed roof please.  I have just refelted the roof and the cats next door seem to think I have now provided them with a new scratch post come sunlounger come vantage point into my garden.  I would like to stop them but am not sure how.  My latest idea is to mount chicken wire over or attach long brambles along it, but I want it to be discreet and non harmful to the cat.  I have a sonar which thankfully stopped another from doing it's business every day but the shed roof is a little harder for the sonar to cover.

Any comments gratefully received, many thanks

22/10/2013 at 13:31

I really can't see the harm in cats sunbathing on you shed roof.  If you don't want them sharpening their claws on it, give them an old door mat or a piece of wood.  You could also get a second sonar and place it as you need.

The only foolproof cat scarers are

a) a dog but that won't protect your shed roof

b) a water scarecrow which sprays them when they pass a sensor.  Works on foxes and herons too.  Google the name for info.

You can also spray them with a water gun but you have to be there all day every day.......

22/10/2013 at 13:41

You can buy lengths of plastic 'spikes' which is usually for the tops of fences/walls - mainly for deterring birds from sitting on them.A bit like gripper rods for carpets.  Not sure if that would help. I think I've seen them online- brown coloured so they're not too obtrusive. I also have some fruit netting which is quite a fine mesh so wouldn't look too hideous- perhaps something like that tacked on for a while to deter them. They may eventually get the hint!

Or how about a green roof! Sedums and saxifrages planted on it. 

22/10/2013 at 13:44

What about that horrible sticky grease stuff to stop burglars

22/10/2013 at 15:35

We got some of those plastic strips Fairyhirl mentions this year on E-Bay,mainly to keep the cats from sneaking up to a bird box on a nearby tree.

They have been very sucessful,placed in two rows with a gap in between,we used "No Nails"to fix rather than the screws that came with them as we did not want holes in the shed roof felt.

23/10/2013 at 09:25
23/10/2013 at 15:33

Thank you all.  Yes, i have some spikes but i fear it would take a lot of strips to deter them.  I looked up paint and read that one neighbours cat had got paint all over itself, damaging the owners carpets and so on, I think i would be in big trouble there - not worth the hassle.  I am generally trying to keep them out of the garden  as one of them terrorised my little cat, who is afraid to go out now.  Think sonars are the way to go, amongst other things, thanks for your ideas everyone

email image
7 messages