London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
41 to 60 of 63 messages
30/01/2014 at 17:42

Yep I agree............Jessica will contact you and discuss if you put your point of view sensibly and don't just have a rant.

BTW, is that cat auditioning ?  Could be he will join Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr ?  Or is he too young

30/01/2014 at 18:16

I love cats, but hate them messing in my garden and scratching up my veg seeds in my veg plot, I put netting over my veg seeds to stop them doing it, what did I get, they pooped all over the netting, probably telling me off as they could not scratch.  We have so many cats around where I live and they all seem to want to poo in my garden, over my front and back lawns, they just squat their backside over my plants even the prickly ones, they do not seem to care where they do it and the stench is bad makes me feel sick and you have that stench up your nose for hours.  I have used everything the shops sell, teabags with olbas oil, pepper, orange peel, chilli pepper was my last resort last summer, was okay until it rains, garden is probably full of cat poo by now, or hopefully the rain keeps them away.  We need some good ideas that work.  Saw on Alan Titchmarsh this afternoon 30.01.2014 that they do deterrents that spurt a shot of water, but why should we have to pay for someone elses cat messing every where.

My neighbour has a black cat that sits under his ivy hedge waiting for the birds at his feeder, lost count of the birds that it has on a daily basis when the weather is dry, he has even cut the hedge up so the birds can see it.

30/01/2014 at 18:57
I am a cat and dog owner and I have to say in defence of cats that it is their irresponsible owners to blame. My cats are provided with a large and regularly cleaned out litter tray and given collars with bells to help prevent hunting. I also try and keep them in at dusk and other main hunting times. There is a collar called a liberator, I believe which emits a sonic noise, scaring birds away. I have read much on the decline of birds such as sparrows and it is environmental issues that appear to be killing off our birds... cats appear to have become a scapegoat.
30/01/2014 at 19:01
And to be honest, I cannot believe the unreasonable, hysterical , aggressive ranting going on...for goodness sake there are bigger issues to be concerned about, such as the fact children are still dying of starvation in our world...some people need to get a grip and look at the bigger picture.
30/01/2014 at 19:24

It is a great shame that some people are missing the point here............please, please look at all the posts on this thread. Not all of us are hysterical or aggressive - just putting our point of view. 

It is obvious that cats are a problem for many gardeners and wildlife lovers and the subject should be debated sensibly - this is a garden forum and anything to do with gardens should be an acceptable subject for discussion.

I'm not quite sure why people dying of starvation throughout the world has any bearing on cat population in the UK or indeed, gardening as a whole- I don't think that is what we are talking about here..Most people worry about their immediate environment........there is little we can do to solve the problems of the world no matter now hard we try - that doesn't mean to say we don't care..........we just pick the right forum to debate it.

30/01/2014 at 19:26

I wonder just how many of those people that want this thread to quietly die away and disappear own cats!?

I shall be contacting Jessica 3 this evening

31/01/2014 at 12:27

i do not remember people actually telling other people to stop a discussion  on this site before, its always been tolerant and open, if these people dont want to discuss it why are they still commenting ,just read some other post please as some of us are simply trying to solve a problem that cat owners are causing  other innocent non cat owners, its due to people talking about problems such as the dog problem we used to have that has finally almost been sorted and im sure the dogs that are not left out all day on the streets  as lots used to be are very greatfull for the improvements we now have.

31/01/2014 at 18:23

Well said Alan, I think the greatest problem is the sheer number of cats around. Female cats cannot be spayed until they are six months old but can become pregnant much earlier than this. A neighbour of ours had a female kitten who they intended to have spayed but they didn't keep her indoors and she has now had three litters. Cat sanctuaries are full to overflowing. I think part of the answer maybe to make it illegal to let an unneutered cat outside. Over twenty years ago I worked as a veterinary nurse and we did cat neutering for the RSPCA, they brought in fifteen to thirty cats a day!

31/01/2014 at 19:11

As far as I know, the PDSA will still help towards the cost of  neutering of both female and male cast if you are unable to afford the somewhat astronomical vet fees.. 

It is really up to the cat owners as to whether they will neuter their pets.

Unfortunately, you are still left with feral cats and owners who cannot be bothered.  . As has been said countless times in this thread, it really is a matter of education. 

31/01/2014 at 20:51

For my two pennies worth, cats can easily be neutered before the age of six months. We routinely neuter at sixteen weeks old and this prevents any risk of pregnancy at all. Cats should be taught as kittens to wear a safe collar and this should carry at least two bells or a small ultrasonic device to reduce hunting success. For all those ranting on that cats can be trained and owners should be prosecuted, get a grip on reality!

I also take umbridge with the persistent 'astronomical vets fees' arguement. We neuter both male and female cats for around fifty pounds, not a bad deal for half an hour of the time of a skilled professional.

01/02/2014 at 10:08

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36837.jpg?width=289&height=350&mode=max

!!!!

01/02/2014 at 10:27

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36840.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

01/02/2014 at 12:16

I fully agree that cats should be neutered and if it can be done before 6 months without detriment to the cat, that's all the better.

I have had cats for 30 odd years now and have found that by keeping them inside your house for the first 6 months of their lives, they come to see it as a very safe place. Consequently when I let them out, they have never strayed far from my own garden (always wanting to be near that 'safe place').

My cats have always been in by dusk and kept in until after dawn the next day - (dusk and dawn are the most vulnerable times for birds). I use collars with bells. I have indoor litter, feed them well and I love and nurture them as one of the family.

None of my cats have been 'hunters', only ever catching the occasional unfortunate animal. I am able to feed the birds daily without at the same time enticing them to an early demise.

It's impossible to prevent the odd accident in a neighbour's garden but I wish other cat owners would be responsible and show some thought so that everyone would be able to see cats as the wonderful, home loving animals that I do. I firmly believe that it is the owner, NOT the cat that makes the difference as to how they behave.

01/02/2014 at 18:55

Brumbull.............I know you are only supposed to plant in odd numbers for aesthetic reasons  but I think you could easily squeeze another couple of cats in that window box  I'd suggest maybe a couple of red ones between Cat 1 and 2 ?  Trailing Cats if you have them ?

02/02/2014 at 11:36
philippa smith2 wrote (see)

I'd urge anyone with a cat problem to contact Jessica - I don;t expect it will solve the problem but at least it might make cat owners think about their responsibilities.

If cat owners claim their cats are wild animals - fine, they need to be controlled and licensed.  If the cats are domestic pets - take responsibility for them - train them to use litter trays in your house or garden and take them for walks on leads.  These days it is a myth to suggest that the domestic cat needs to roam free.  Cats are the ultimate "no responsibilty" pets.  Why do non cat owners have to expend good money on "cat deterrents" ...........come on Gardeners and wildlife lovers.....get a grip.............it is not your responsibility.

OR garden? Who puts a litter tray in their garden? I've never read such a daft thing. Also why do you think its a good idea to put cats on a lead? They're not a pack animal. Not every cat is going to "enjoy" being on a lead. You cannot fully train a cat like a dog. Cats love to wonder. They're not going to trot all the way back to your own garden to do toilet business in a litter tray or in the garden.

I'm just a little angry how you think cats can be treated like dogs. I can only assume you're as angry with have had cats do their pooping and what not in your garden. If so I'm sorry to hear that. My nan had trouble with cats digging up her bulbs =/. I hope you, and all others find better and more practical solutions though

02/02/2014 at 11:58

Brumbell.............there's a big yellow blob in the sky right at this minute.....I vaguely recollect it is called The Sun..............something like that anyway .  My Hellebores are enjoying the respite.............flowering away like mad despite everything.

Hope the wind gives up for you today.

02/02/2014 at 13:12
RubyLeaf wrote (see)
OR garden? Who puts a litter tray in their garden? I've never read such a daft thing. Also why do you think its a good idea to put cats on a lead? They're not a pack animal. Not every cat is going to "enjoy" being on a lead. You cannot fully train a cat like a dog. Cats love to wonder. They're not going to trot all the way back to your own garden to do toilet business in a litter tray or in the garden.

I'm just a little angry how you think cats can be treated like dogs. I can only assume you're as angry with have had cats do their pooping and what not in your garden. If so I'm sorry to hear that. My nan had trouble with cats digging up her bulbs =/. I hope you, and all others find better and more practical solutions though

Perfectly reasonable thing to do - when we had cats that's what we did.  We had a large shallow  container of dry builders' sand in the open lean-to where the logs were stored - it stayed dry and was accessible to our cats whenever they were outside and they used it.  

Our neighbours said that our cats did not use their gardens and they certainly did not use my flower beds or veg garden.  The sand was changed regularly and it was no bother.  It would be helpful if all cat owners did a similar thing and encouraged their cats to use it.  

By their nature it might not prevent cats from occasionally pooping elsewhere, but it helps control the problem if they know of somewhere suitable outside that they can use, just as they use the cat litter indoors. 

02/02/2014 at 16:46

Hi, Skipps, i guess you have fine soil like me, and cats love fine soil to do their bizzy in it, as it digs up very nice, i have had this problem, so now i put as many flowers in that patch of fine soil and maybe put the odd small pebble here and there and hey presto  the cats aint got no where else to poo, ha job done, by the way i have a cat and i take her walkies in my garden on a harness, so dont get into trouble with other cats and neigbours, she can still  wonder on her long lead. Hope this helps :)

02/02/2014 at 17:24

Dove..........I agree

Ruby Leaf............when I said Litter Tray in Garden, I used the term loosely.  Even I as a non lover of cats cannot really envisage a cat crouching over a litter tray open to the elements - particularly this last couple of months.  Besides, we all want a little privacy at these times don't we

As to Cats on leads - don't knock it until you have tried it.  I've seen happy cats on leads - quality time with your cat and good exercise too.  I agree cats are not known as pack animals but then neither are dogs...........other than St. Bernards but they have the option of dipping into their brandy barrels

I and many others have had their say on this subject - some more polite than others I must admit.  I stand by what I have posted but unfortunately, it is not a problem which is going to be resolved quickly.

I think perhaps it may be time to take a leaf out of Brumbell's book and rename this thread "Cats - Decorative Uses in the Garden".  If we want to avoid the "C" word, we could always use Dogs or even just Pets. 

My sister is a cat lover and owner - to avoid any arguments, we refer to them as "The Hon. Dogs"........not sure why really as she doesn't have a dog and I haven't had a dog for 20 years or so

05/02/2014 at 11:22

Hello,  thank you for your contributions to this discussion.  Please feel free to contact me directly at jessica@landmarkfilms.com or on 01865297220.  Unfortunately not everyone has settings that allow personal messages, so I may not have contacted you directly for this reason.  The research is genuine, so please feel free to ring for a chat.  We are looking to discuss this issue sensibly, and look for ways where gardeners and cats and cat owners can all work together.  We are filming for quite a while so pass my number on to anyone you think may be interested.

Jessica

41 to 60 of 63 messages